Ammonia Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmberHP

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two ten gallon tanks that are both cycled. I have SeaChem Ammonia Badges in both tanks, and both say the free ammonia is "Safe" (less that 0.02ppm). I just did an API test, which tests total ammonia and it is showing 0 in one tank, and in the green in the other (between 0.5 and 1.0 ppm). We have a betta and three small cory catfish in the tank that is reading high in total ammonia, and today the betta and one cory are dead. All other water conditions are totally normal, so I have to think the ammonia is the issue. I immediately did a water change this morning.

So... should I assume that the seachem ammonia badge is not working? I tested it as they suggested by holding it over a bottle of windex, and just the fumes from the bottle made it instantly go to the highest reading. Do any of you have experience with the ammonia badge?

How do you all test your free ammonia? Our city water is high in chloramine, so when I test the water, even after being treated with water conditioner, the total ammonia tests read high.

Thanks for any thinking you have on this!

What is the pH of your water? What filters do you have running and media? Cycle started and ended when? What are all your water parameters when you test with your own test kit?

Back
Top Bottom