Ammonia Issues - Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WoopAhhh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 20-gallon tank is relatively new, and so I've been dealing with high ammonia issues. I got my water tested and bought the recommended ammonia-remover and have been doing partial water changes. I also bought test strips.

I put the necessary amount of the ammonia liquid in the tank about a week ago, and the fish seemed to be doing well. Yet when I use the test strips, it still reads "harmful level". I read the bottle of ammonia-remover and it said that the liquid will do its job, but it will obscure test-strip readings by still reading what it was previously. Basically, it still reads what it was before I used the liquid, yet the liquid is supposedly working.

And now I'm kind of stuck not knowing how safe or unsafe my water really is. Or am I? I'm just a bit confused. I'm thinking that I wasted my money on the strips.
Any advice?

that product changes ammonia to a not harmful chemical, but stilll comes up as ammonia so it doesnt harm the fish but you remove this with pwc's

WoopAhhhh said:
My 20-gallon tank is relatively new, and so I've been dealing with high ammonia issues. I got my water tested and bought the recommended ammonia-remover and have been doing partial water changes. I also bought test strips.

I put the necessary amount of the ammonia liquid in the tank about a week ago, and the fish seemed to be doing well. Yet when I use the test strips, it still reads "harmful level". I read the bottle of ammonia-remover and it said that the liquid will do its job, but it will obscure test-strip readings by still reading what it was previously. Basically, it still reads what it was before I used the liquid, yet the liquid is supposedly working.

And now I'm kind of stuck not knowing how safe or unsafe my water really is. Or am I? I'm just a bit confused. I'm thinking that I wasted my money on the strips.
Any advice?

Take a look at your other post...I replied there! Test strips are very inaccurate! members here usually advise using the API master test kit for freshwater. I think most people would agree that you also shouldn't go straight to chemicals to fix a problem...IMO that's kind of a last ditch effort...check out "fishless cycling" or since you already have fish (I believe) check out the "fish in cycling" I don't quite remember where it is...so do a search :) hope this helps

WoopAhhhh said:

Any advice?

IMO you should do a 50%+ PWC right away. The ammolock is binding the ammo and converting it to a non-toxic form, but it's not getting rid of it. Sounds like your tank isn't cycled, so read the stickie on "cycling with fish" and do daily 50% PWC till it does cycle is what I would do.

Hate to say it but the test strips are pretty worthless, I'd suggest getting a liquid test kit (ie API FW Master test kit) run all tests and post results here so we can offer further advice.

EDIT: It would help if you post info on your tank (size, filtration, fish, etc) as that will help in what suggestions you might get.

Fantastic!! Mr. Limpet is a goldfish guru! He should be able to give you great advice /)

Back
Top Bottom