Ammonia level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Majik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been fishless cycling for around a week and a half now. I started with Ace hardware ammonia, and I have only had to add more once. I originally put way too much so I did some PWC to lower the level to 5ppm. After 4 days I added a few drops more to get it back to 5ppm. Then I decided after reading here that I wanted sand instead of gravel. I am going to get corys so I changed the substrate, but kept some of the old gravel in panty hose. That was Monday. The ammonia level hasnt dropped since. Did I stall the cycle? Did it even start?

Also in the week and a half the tank has been running some water has evaporated. Should I refill this? Also should I add Prime to the new water? It says it kills ammonia, would that be against what I am trying to accomplish? Thanks for the help and sorry about the multiple questions.

I'll let someone more experienced with cycling field the stall question.

You wouldn't want to add Prime to the new water. Prime is for making the water habitable for the fish. You don't have fish. You can add prime later before you add fish. It won't mess with the bacteria after the tank is cycled.

Majik said:
I have been fishless cycling for around a week and a half now. I started with Ace hardware ammonia, and I have only had to add more once. I originally put way too much so I did some PWC to lower the level to 5ppm. After 4 days I added a few drops more to get it back to 5ppm. Then I decided after reading here that I wanted sand instead of gravel. I am going to get corys so I changed the substrate, but kept some of the old gravel in panty hose. That was Monday. The ammonia level hasnt dropped since. Did I stall the cycle? Did it even start?

Also in the week and a half the tank has been running some water has evaporated. Should I refill this? Also should I add Prime to the new water? It says it kills ammonia, would that be against what I am trying to accomplish? Thanks for the help and sorry about the multiple questions.

Is the "old gravel" seed gravel? Or just the original substrate you had before switching to sand? If it's just the original substrate, I would guess that your cycle is still beginning. Emphasis on "guess". :) I've only done one fishless cycle and that just ended a few days ago.

Good luck!

~g

theotheragentm said:
You wouldn't want to add Prime to the new water. Prime is for making the water habitable for the fish. You don't have fish. You can add prime later before you add fish. It won't mess with the bacteria after the tank is cycled.

Are you sure about that? I thought chlorine could kill the bacteria in the biofilter, hence the caution that you should always rinse filter material in tank water, not tap water. :?

Oh, I wasn't even thinking about the filter. I was thinking this was going on without the filter on the tank. You're definitely right about that.

The ammonia level should stay at 4-5ppm and within the next few days you should see some nitrites. I would top off the tank and add prime if it were me. The overdose of ammonia may have delayed the cycle but I don't believe it has stalled yet.

majolo said:
theotheragentm said:

Are you sure about that? I thought chlorine could kill the bacteria in the biofilter, hence the caution that you should always rinse filter material in tank water, not tap water. :?

Yeah don't wash the biofilter in off. I learned that one the hard way. My Nitrites where a little high. Well I went to the LFS and asked them what I could do to try and lower it. Well they told me to was the biowheel off under cool tap water to lay off the bio filteration for a bit. Well I listened to them like an idit. Needless to say it crashed my aquarium. Water got really foggy, fish where dying left and right. It pretty much went though and other cycle.

As mentioned USE PRIME. Fish are much hardier than bacteria. Chlorine (or worse chloramine) in the tap water will quickly kill off your biofilter.

Changing out the substrate hurt the cycle but the majority of the bacteria is established in your filter so it shouldn't make too much of a difference in the long run.

Did you start with established media from an existing tank? If not your cycle probably didn't even start.

Check out the fishless cycling article in the articles section for some tips to speed up your cycle, but #1 most important is to get some seed material from an existing tank.

Goodluck.

Well thanks for the help. I didnt get any existing material, because I dont know anyone around here that has a tank. I did start to get nitrites on Sunday, so everything looks to be working, maybe just a little slow. Thanks for the help so far.

Majik said:
Well thanks for the help. I didnt get any existing material, because I dont know anyone around here that has a tank. I did start to get nitrites on Sunday, so everything looks to be working, maybe just a little slow. Thanks for the help so far.

Go to your LFS and see if they will supply you with some. The mom & pop stores are normally much more willing to help than the big box stores, but even a bit of gravel or filter media will speed up your cycle a good bit.

Glad to see your getting nitrItes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom