ammonia problems newbie and already have fish :/?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
my ammonia levels just wont go down i have
3-juli corys
1-siamese algae eater
i do 25 % water changes and test before and after and it keeps saying it is 2.0 to 4.0. how can i decrease this even more? another thing can any of these increase ammonia readings
melafix (using to help heal ammonia burns fish are doing better with it)
stress zhyme (to help jump start the biofilter)
stress coat (to take away chlorine when changing water)
i would get rid of the siamese akgae eater if i could , but idk if walmart will take it back without a receipt but with the bag it came in.

You need to increase you water changes. I would do a 50% and keeping doing one every day until your ammonia is under control. Also, read up on fish-in cycling.

I agree with Randi, 50% percent until you see your levels balancing out. I wouldn't add any chemicals, to be quite honest, until you get your ammonia all settled. (melafix excluded if you see that it seems to be helping)

I agree with Randi, 50% percent until you see your levels balancing out. I wouldn't add any chemicals, to be quite honest, until you get your ammonia all settled. (melafix excluded if you see that it seems to be helping)

how aften should i do these and to what degree of ammonia? i just did a 50% water change (or close to) and it went down from about 3 to 4 ppm to 1 ppm

If it went down that drastic, I'd give it maybe two days, and do another one, by then your ammonia should be close to zero. All you have in your ten gallon is 3 corys and a SAE? Do you know what caused the spike?

i havent cycled yet if that's what you mean i just started and didnt know about cycling so im currently cycling

I see. Well, now you know =] Fish keeping is just one huge learning experience. You should be fine once you get your water qualities checked out. Do you have an at home test kit?

You need to increase you water changes. I would do a 50% and keeping doing one every day until your ammonia is under control. Also, read up on fish-in cycling.

I have searched but did not come up with the link for fish-in cycling.
Anyone have it handy?

I see. Well, now you know =] Fish keeping is just one huge learning experience. You should be fine once you get your water qualities checked out. Do you have an at home test kit?

i have an ammonia tester at the time (liquid) i plan on getting maybe a master kit next time i can go to petco bc it doest test the nitrates and nitrites. it is a huge learning experience and im glad someone sent me here b i used to post everything on yahoo answers and yea they arent very nice ppl :D

I'm a big fan of the liquid testers. Sometimes the strips, just don't cut it. (I work at petco, I know =])

uh.oh... said:
When a female lays eggs typically males will enter into an aggressive period, or maybe just a really excited/ready to mate again period. My mollys do that. Perhaps consider getting more female cories, to balance out the numbers (after cycling of course) or separate the female with a birthing net of some kind.

Maybe you posted in the wrong tread???

Back
Top Bottom