Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try several 75% PWCs immediately.

Here's a comparison of what a 10% PWC will do vs a 75% PWC:

PWC #1: 10% - 3.6ppm ammonia, 75% - 1ppm ammonia

PWC #2: 10% - 3.24ppm ammonia, 75% - 0.25ppm ammonia

PWC #3: 10% - 2.92ppm ammonia, 75% - 0.06ppm ammonia

You never want to let your ammonia get above 0.25ppm and ideally it should be zero.

BigJim said:
Try several 75% PWCs immediately.

Here's a comparison of what a 10% PWC will do vs a 75% PWC:

PWC #1: 10% - 3.6ppm ammonia, 75% - 1ppm ammonia

PWC #2: 10% - 3.24ppm ammonia, 75% - 0.25ppm ammonia

PWC #3: 10% - 2.92ppm ammonia, 75% - 0.06ppm ammonia

You never want to let your ammonia get above 0.25ppm and ideally it should be zero.

+1. This needs to be done immediately. Levels that high are unbelievably toxic. Even if the fish survive, they can have permanent gill damage. I hope you're on your way to the tank as we speak. Don't forget the dechlorinator!!!

Get some Stress Coat with Aloe, it can help heal any burns your fish may have from the ammonia being so high. With the Stress Coat and Prime you can do a 75% back to back PWC to get the ammonia down faster. It won't kill the fish as long as you use both the Prime & Stress Coat and the water temp. remains constant.
Ammonia of 4.0 is extremely toxic. You need to get it down as quickly as possible. The ammonia will kill your fish faster than a couple back to back 75% PWC.
Also to reduce the stress on your fish, keep the lights off for a couple of days.

What size tank? How many fish? What kind of filtration?

Last but not least, did you fishless cycle? Doubtful with readings like that. Are you using dip tests or liquid tests?

tank size 80x 30 x 40 filter fluval 2 pls tank been set up for about 4 months i did a fishless cycle and got the api full test kit (liquid)

2 banjo cats
1 sailfin plco
2 female guppy
2 male guppy
1 siamese fighting fish
1 x-ray tetra
2 clown loach
2 angel fish
2 red honey gourami

How many liters is that? You're a Stoke supporter, I don't know if I want to help you anymore...;-)

Sometimes if you add some new fish your ammonia raises for a bit until your bacteria builds up but 4 ppm will kill fish instantly? I got some pretty hardy fish then I didn't no about cycling and my fish survived over 6 ppm with no casualties at all through my cycle

Back
Top Bottom