Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charmane122

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a high level of ammonia in my tank. I've done everyday water for the past week. Ive used ammolock and ammo chips.... Still ammonia is very high. Any suggestions. Thks

Ammolock will help make the ammonia less toxic but it still needs to be as low as possible. Keep up the water changes as often as you can until the ammonia levels off and disappears.

^^ ah i missed that!
The ammo lock will help but not a replacement for water changes. It converts the ammonia to a less toxic form but still leaves it available for the bacteria. The ammo chips should NEVER be used. They lock the ammonia away leaving none for the bacteria.

Wow. No it's been up and running for two months now. Ammonia and ph was PERFECT all of a sudden they both did a reverse affect. Yes, the ammolock just neutralizes the ammonia. I did a thirty percent water change and added niteout. How long should I do the water change. Thks

what is high level? You could do like a 90% change and get rid of most of it. It will come back until the bacteria level out, but your fish will be less harmed.

Thks so much!! I'll keep u updated. Should I add anything else in the water when I'm doing the water changes?

I did do a 90% also I took the gravel out and cleaned it then put it back in.

Don't take the gravel out to clean. All you need to do is use a gravel vac to remove waste. Bacteria grow and live in the gravels also. Did you read the articles above?

ahhh don't do that!
your gravel holds a lot of the beneficial bacteria that convert amonia -> nitrite -> nitrate
You likely just killed most of it.

To jumpstart your bio filter you could try SafeStart/bio-spira from your LFS. It's supposed to have the bacteria needed in it to jumpstart your system.

Keep up with the ammolock and water changes, but don't take out your gravel and clean it. At most, siphon clean half of the gravel at a time.

Got yah. I took the gravel out two weeks ago. When all this started. Smh. My fish ate still healthy looking. I'm gonna do everyday water changes until the ammonia drops

Ammonia of 8? Yipes! after a water change? lol
I'm surprised anything is alive.

Yeah thats wat me and my husband couldn't understand. The fish even stay at the bottom of the tank. You know when ammonia is so high the stay at the top... Not mines. They swim as normal. Thanks so much guys. I'm gonna be a committed water changer! Lol

Sounds to me like bad test strips. Either get the LFS to double check with at least the API drops or buy the kit yourself and check.
I'm going for the Salifert test kit next time around. More money but looks much easier to read than API.

- D

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Moved to FW general discussion.

Back
Top Bottom