Ammonium Alum mixture for killing snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read that you can use an ammonium alum mixture to kill snails and eggs on new plants. I'm buying like 100 anacharis and want to treat them before I put them in my tanks. Do any of you know about this and if so, what is the ratio of alum to water? Don't want to kill my new plants and don't want snails.

I'm not 100% sure on how to use Alum...but 1:20 bleach to water will work. Soak for about 3 minutes and you're good to go. I've also used paracetic acid which is made with 1:4 warm vinegar: H2O2 for 2 minutes. Potassium permanganate will also do the trick as well and there will be directions on the box. It's marketed as jungle clear or something.

Crepe said:
I'm not 100% sure on how to use Alum...but 1:20 bleach to water will work. Soak for about 3 minutes and you're good to go.

I have used this method the three times I added plants to my tanks, and at least one time it let me down. I checked for grown snails before the bath, never saw any, but I've pulled out at least 2 dozen over the past couple weeks, and I'm sure there are more. I'm thinking an egg sack must have snuck past me. Just a heads up that it's not a 100% effective

Potassium Permanganate: death by purple.

I usually use H2O2 for a bit followed by an extreme visual check.

Back
Top Bottom