AmQuel in a baby tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MOOGLY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I maybe done something bad earlier today I was unable to do a water change last night do to time and figured I could put some AmQuel in our baby tank but afterwards thought maybe this was bad more so due to the smell of the stuff (smells like poison to me)

the fry are molly's and we have around 20 or so in 5 gallon tank I have been doing water changes as much as possible as I have read this is needed for fry as soon as they are big enough I will put them into our 80 gallon with the parents but for now they must live there.

anyidea if the AmQuel will be good for them or bad ?

Thanks

Should be fine, better to add then not to add it! Chloramines will be more poisonous then Amquel! :wink:

Are you using AmQuel or AmQuel+ ? I have AmQuel and it doesn't smell at all. I agree with Billsgate that you need to use it. If the smell bothers you, see if you can get some AmQuel. I just got some a month ago -- I know AmQuel+ is the newer product, but I can still get AmQuel.

It is AmQuel+ it smells horrible

I am using it on top of my regular water conditioner to help with the ammonia I didn't even realize it was water conditioner too I thought it was just some sort of ammonia stabilizer.

the babys are all fine so far so I can't see there being harm at least not yet anyways.

at the advice of some others I put snails in the tank today to help clean the gravel I am too afraid to gravel vac in fear of sucking some up !!

I have read that the AmQuel+ stops tank cycling which I am not too worried about since I am changing so much of the water daily I don't really care if it cycles right away or not I am more worried about thier health now we bought the tank they day the first batch were born and lost about 15 to the filter we now have a nylon around the intake but the tank gets filthy any any help in regards to keeping it clean would be appreciated besides gravel vacs of course.

around 4 of our females delivered and we have roughly 20 fry in the 5 gallon tank I am aware that this is not a great scenario but due to cost is our only option at the moment.

To keep the babies out of the intake, the best thing is a piece of foam, as from a foam filter. If you remove all the gravel from the tank, it will be easier to keep clean.

Back
Top Bottom