And it BEGINS my friends!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gboy66 said:
Nice!! Could i suggest a decor of slate, and pile rocks? I love that look for chiclids :D as for transfering the fish, i dont know an exact amount of time to wait, but definatly dont do it tonight. I think id wait a week or two. Again, not posative because iv never actually tried to cycle a tank with a filter.

Im also not positive on how to spell positive hahah

If he is transferring over the filters he can move the fish straight away. If you leave a cycled filter on a tank with no ammonia source for a week or two the BB will die.

Mumma.of.two said:
If he is transferring over the filters he can move the fish straight away. If you leave a cycled filter on a tank with no ammonia source for a week or two the BB will die.

Oh good to know! I Though that the media and BB had to kindof get into the tank and stuff...but that makes tons of sense!

So I don't transfer tonight? What do I do with the fish? Fill up the old tank like I was doing a wc? Then what about the filters and decor? Some of it will be in the new tank.

Convict2161 said:
So I don't transfer tonight? What do I do with the fish? Fill up the old tank like I was doing a wc? Then what about the filters and decor? Some of it will be in the new tank.

Do it all at once they will be fine.
Yes, IMO transfer tonight if you plan on moving filters.
Leave then in a few of inches of water in the bottom of the 55. The net them over to the 75 when it's done/full/ready. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Here!!!!! :p but do you mean place? Australia.

Haha I know Australia we went through this! ;)

Hey question about stand. I'm weary of it.

View attachment 62938

View attachment 62939

View attachment 62940

Do I have the right stand? It's not seated inside the stand it's resting on the wood around the stand. So my question is. You see how there is nothing under the bottom to support it, the glass is a good 2 inches off the stand. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone? I know a few people said they have this stand. Not gonna do anything until I know for sure.

Convict2161 said:
Haha I know Australia we went through this! ;)

Hey question about stand. I'm weary of it.

Do I have the right stand? It's not seated inside the stand it's resting on the wood around the stand. So my question is. You see how there is nothing under the bottom to support it, the glass is a good 2 inches off the stand. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone? I know a few people said they have this stand. Not gonna do anything until I know for sure.

Send a pm to who ever has the same stand and ask them! I'm pretty sure most tanks only sit on the outside trim but I may be wrong. My 70 does anyways. It looks ok to me. :)

Just doesn't look like what I would imagine. All that weight being on. I'm tempted to go cut a piece of 3 quarter inch plywood spray the edges black and put on top o he stand and shoot some finish nails through it.

Just doesn't sit well with me....

Convict2161 said:
Just doesn't look like what I would imagine. All that weight being on. I'm tempted to go cut a piece of 3 quarter inch plywood spray the edges black and put on top o he stand and shoot some finish nails through it.

Just doesn't sit well with me....

I'm pretty sure it's right. If you look at plain pine stands with no sides or doors they are hollow through the middle of the top.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm pretty sure it's right. If you look at plain pine stands with no sides or doors they are hollow through the middle of the top.

So the glass alone can support the gravel, rocks etc?

Convict2161 said:
So the glass alone can support the gravel, rocks etc?

As far as I'm aware, yes. :) if you are worried about rocks cracking the glass put some egg crate (the white cross check stuff in floro light fittings in offices etc) under your substrate to distribute the weight more evenly across it. It's also a good idea to put the rocks directly on the bottom and the put the substrate around them so that if a fish digs around it it can't slip and crack the glass.

Convict2161 said:
How about I just fly you here and you help me? :)

Egg crate thing is an excellent idea

Hahaha. You'd have to fly my whole family over they'd die without me! Lol. my hubby can't even watch the kids for a day without me!

Look up some pics and do some searching on google for some threads about glass strength in aquariums. They are designed to take the weight.

I did some research and found that most tank stands up to 90 gallons are made this way. Something to do with physics and the distribution of weight only being on the edges of the tank. Actually pretty interesting reading.

Didn't know so much went into a stand. I'm looking at mine with huge cut outs on the back side and it explains why they are there.

Just interesting. And I just learned something.

Convict2161 said:
I did some research and found that most tank stands up to 90 gallons are made this way. Something to do with physics and the distribution of weight only being on the edges of the tank. Actually pretty interesting reading.

Didn't know so much went into a stand. I'm looking at mine with huge cut outs on the back side and it explains why they are there.

Just interesting. And I just learned something.

Well there you go! Nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom