And it BEGINS my friends!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Many of you know my journey to get my 75 gallon tank for my Africans who are now in a 55 BF. well... Many of you also know I have gotten said tank! :)

The stand should be here Friday.

I have everything I need to transfer as I'm using most of the equipment from the 55. 2 filters, 1 penguin 350 and 1 AC 110. I did get a new heater which you can see in the pic with the tank. I have extra gravel left over and going to use the gravel from the 55.

Also gonna use the rocks,driftwood and a few not all o the fake plants.

I'm going for more of a rock scape look rather then what I have now.

My idea is to cut back on decor and allow for mor swimming room as I do have 25 African cichlids and 1 upside down catfish. I am going to get 1 more catfish a cuckoo if I can find one.

Also I will be painting the back of the tank a aqua blue color from Krylon.

The only thing that I'm annoyed about is with the holiday and weekend my Cichlid stone caves I ordered wont be here until Monday, I wanted the tank set in its place and everything up and running by the weekend.

Any input, suggestions are welcome. Stay tune as my journey to my 75 begins!! :)

This is my tank now.

View attachment 62535

View attachment 62533

View attachment 62534

Thanks stay tuned for updates. I'll be painting the tank hopefully tomorrow. Nothing will be in place until Friday when the stand arrives.

Sounds great convict!! Could i suggest painting the back black..? It makes the tank look sooo great, and the chiclid colors are twice as bright! Ill be following and helping where i can!!

TheCrazyFishLady said:
A painted black background would be nice. I really wish I had thought of that before setting up my 55g.

I love mine! If you want to see a pic just to see what its like, say so and ill take one!!

I would like to see a picture. And I didn't think of black but it makes a lot of sense and my intakes from the HOB filters would kinda fall into the black as well. I wonder if I can return the blue paint for black. But this idea is interesting to me.

Pictures please?!

Thanks.

Also hopefully gonna paint it today. Any type of finish that you recommend? Or the basic Krylon which I use? Its the indoor/outdoor kind.

I would like to see a picture. And I didn't think of black but it makes a lot of sense and my intakes from the HOB filters would kinda fall into the black as well.

It's amazing what a black background does ... really makes the colors pop. It would pop even more if you also do a dark substrate.

Love to see the finished tank!

jcolon said:
It's amazing what a black background does ... really makes the colors pop. It would pop even more if you also do a dark substrate.

Hmmm dark substrate, ok... I'm liking it. I like gravel though... Natural look didn't wanna get into sand. Any suggestions? Keep in mind I'm using rocks mostly with some low laying plants and a few of my log caves with some driftwood. That's the plan so far BUT... It could change.

jcolon said:

Yes a black backround is great because it helps make colors and plants stand out, and if there is the regular green algea in your tank if there is any on the back wall you cant even see it. Its great

Ok this is good. I have a black backround, and a black substrate, eco complete. Also, i have a type of rock work sortof like a chiclid tank, so this would be an alright comparasin! The picture is a little bit older, because the lights on my tank arent on right now, and it looks better now. Either way, you get the point!

Here is what I used (along with some of the red)..I wanted a darker substrate but I didn't really want fine sand or gravel. This is kind of in between. It's fairly big grains of sand....if that's what you'd call it.

Good luck! :D

Petco Black Aquarium Sand at PETCO

That looks awesome! I like how you did it at the fire station :p how long did it take you to complete? You did a great job

Back
Top Bottom