Anemone Health

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought an anemone a couple of years ago. Everything was fine for about 18 months. The last 6 months the anemone has shrunk to about 1/10th its original size. Also seems like it's mouth is inverted. Classic symptoms of a dying anemone from what I have read. My question is..... is it really dying? How long does it take? Should I just remove it from tank and be done with it?

All water parameters are fine. I have plenty of fish and soft corals that are healthy to rule out any environmental factors.

Thanks in advance,IMG_3297.jpg

It doesn't look like it is dying to me. It could even be a sign of it attempting to split itself into two anemones if everything is pristine.
What exactly are the parameters in the system? Have there been any recent changes in the tank?

has your lighting changed , you would know if it was dying off as it wouldn't stay perched to the rocks along with a very pale coloring or even raggedy looking,
that guy looks healthy no doubt.

No changes in lighting or anything else in the tank. I did have an accidental livestock change though that now that I think about it may be related. Back in August my clarkii clown jumped out of the tank and died. Is the anemone depressed? Is this a thing?

The anemone has been under the same kessil 160s since day one.

Ph: 8.1
Temp: 73
Alk: 9 dKH
SG: 1.025
Ammonia, nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 8 ppm

Here are a couple of more pics. One from today and the other with the clarkii in better days.

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

Ph: 8.1
Temp: 73
Alk: 9 dKH
SG: 1.025
Ammonia, nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 8 ppm
just reading through everything again and 2 things caught my attention
it can possibly be a combination of both temp being 73*
and nitrates 8ppm
they are sensitive of nitrates and phosphates
1 last thing came to mind hows the flow is it getting enough
these could be a factor for the decline in size .
looking at the picture again are you sure that's a nem
it looks awfully close to a umbrella/toadstool leather

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom