Angel behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish are friends

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI guys, I'm sure things like this have already been discussed but I view this on my mobile...can be quite laborious..
Basically just after some advice

Bought 2 angels from lfs, they were a pair on their own in the shop and had been for over 6 weeks (from me first spotting them to day of purchase) and were in a tank with catfish. They seemed very content at the lfs. I've had them 2 days now and have noticed what I think is the guy angel nipping at the girl (?) angel and some sparring between them both...it can get a bit heated between them and this is where I worry. The boy (I'll refer to it as him) seems to have what looks like a swollen lip. It shines White under my blue neon light. It's only been noticeable today. They seem to go mouth to mouth with each other quite a bit so I'm wondering wether this is a consequence...I'm new to keeping angels and just after a little guidance.
The water params are fine, all tests have come back exactly how u would expect (water hardness is slightly high but that's expected in my hardwater area) the 4 dwarf gouramis are fine (although 1 seems to wanna get involved with the angels) I have 4 corys (2 pepper 2 sterba) 1 bristlenose catfish and 1 gold nugget pleco an they are all ok so I'm not thinking any disease.
If any one has any opinions or tips etc I'm all ears

Thanks in advance

Its hard to say without seeing them, so dominance fighting is possibility, but IMO the more likely option is courtship. Angel courtship can seem pretty nasty sometimes, but lip locking is fairly common IMO and subsided quickly. My female charges the male sometimes as well. Keep an eye on it tough. Mine usually tussle a bit, then clean a spot for eggs. If it does not mostly reslove itself in a few days, I would consider it bullying rather than courtship.
How big is the tank? IMO, watch out for the dg's getting involved. You don't them to exaccerbate the situation.:)

tank is 110 ltr
its not really calmed down or intensified
im watching with great interest but also a little worry aswell as the lip on one looks a little swollen and has a white mark on it.
hopefully its just dominance, although being the only 2 together at the lfs i would have hoped they would have sorted this out by now...maybe its mating but after 3 days in a new tank im doubtful its that lol

tank is 110 ltr
its not really calmed down or intensified
im watching with great interest but also a little worry aswell as the lip on one looks a little swollen and has a white mark on it.
hopefully its just dominance, although being the only 2 together at the lfs i would have hoped they would have sorted this out by now...maybe its mating but after 3 days in a new tank im doubtful its that lol
Well, just continue to watch. Like I said, its hard for us to tell you whats going on when we can't see it. That describes how my angels "flirt." But, maybe they are just re-figuring out their heirarchy in a new place. Are you sure they were a mated pair? Or did I mis-understand you and you just meant they were the only fish together in their tank at the lfs?

Oh, I just remembered the dg in there as well. Definitely be careful, you have a lot a territorial fish in a tank thats under 30 US gallons. What are the dimensions?

Back
Top Bottom