Angel fish Immune to everything!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a new black marble gold angel around 3-4 wks ago. She's pretty perfect. A wk before I added her, I added 4 black stripe neons (think that's what they called them) I already had 6 angels and 2 plecos. Anyways, Long story short, everybody got ich. All but the newest black angel. I've been pretty busy cleaning this big mess up. Did heat and salt for almost a wk. Along with gravel vac. And water changes. (Alot!) Plecos got clear of it. Angels got worse and worse. So moving on took all older 6 angels out put in hospital tote, heater, sponge filter and ich-x. I hate meds but had no other choice. It was so bad I lost the 2 smallest angels out of the bunch. Still treating the 4 I got left. Think the 75 gallon is clean and clear. (I hope) it's just crazy that she hasn't got it. Could she be the carrier, or has she had it before and just immune to it. Or just simply immune. She don't act weird like fish do when they have ich. No signs of anything. It's been a while on this battle, I'm pretty sure I would have seen some signs by now. Plecos are still fine too. Anyone got any thoughts? Oh and I'm pretty sure the ich came from the neons. I got other fish for my other tank from the same store and that tank got it too.

During any type of disease outbreak it's possible, if not probable some fish will not be affected as long as the tank has been well maintained and nutritional needs have been met. It's not that common for Plecos and other catfish to get ick. They usually are the last to go. It's entirely possible that you bought an infected batch of fish. That happens to everyone at sometime or another. Coincidentally, I just lost 5 special ordered Texas cichlid juveniles infected with some type of bacterial infection. Fortunately no other tankmates got sick.
Ive read that small populations of Ick, Oodinium, Columnaris, fungus and every other sick bug exists in all aquariums. All it takes for an outbreak to occur is stressed, weakened fish.
Hope your Angels heal up soon.

Black Angels have a long history of being a weaker fish in the Angelfish line. The creation of the "double dark" was actually to try and create a stronger black Angelfish. It's possible that you have one and that is why it has been holding off the disease.
The big issue with your post is that your established fish got sick from the new comers. Healthy fish in a healthy tank generally are able to stand up against the parasites and diseases so the fact that your old fish got sick from the new ones should tell you something about your tank's situation. ( It's not keeping your fish as healthy as it should be.:whistle: ) So all the water changes should help this but in the long run, you should look into and "up" your maintenance and possibly your feeding procedures to avoid this in the future. ( using a quarantine tank for new fish will also help. (y) )
Lastly, diseases are a lot harder to see on black fish so in the case of black Angels, keep a careful watch on their fins. The pectoral fins ( the ones on the side of the fish) are usually one of the first places you will see diseases that are on the fish. Even if you don't see parasites on them, if they have any cloudy or blotchy appearance, the parasites were there and have left and are now free swimming in your tank. :eek:

Hope this helps. (y)

I read that too. I hope they will make it too. The ich on them are pretty bad. They have the spots and another coating on them like a cloud, some kinda fungus and the fins are tour up on them. It's a hot mess. I'm doing everything I can. They still eat so that's the best sign. Sorry to hear about yours as well. I've been reading alot. Think I'm gonna start new fish in a different tank for the 3 weeks just to make sure. 75 gallon infestation is not fun.

Black Angels have a long history of being a weaker fish in the Angelfish line. The creation of the "double dark" was actually to try and create a stronger black Angelfish. It's possible that you have one and that is why it has been holding off the disease.
The big issue with your post is that your established fish got sick from the new comers. Healthy fish in a healthy tank generally are able to stand up against the parasites and diseases so the fact that your old fish got sick from the new ones should tell you something about your tank's situation. ( It's not keeping your fish as healthy as it should be.:whistle: ) So all the water changes should help this but in the long run, you should look into and "up" your maintenance and possibly your feeding procedures to avoid this in the future. ( using a quarantine tank for new fish will also help. (y) )
Lastly, diseases are a lot harder to see on black fish so in the case of black Angels, keep a careful watch on their fins. The pectoral fins ( the ones on the side of the fish) are usually one of the first places you will see diseases that are on the fish. Even if you don't see parasites on them, if they have any cloudy or blotchy appearance, the parasites were there and have left and are now free swimming in your tank. :eek:

Hope this helps. (y)
This don't really help my situation. My black one is the new angel. And the older angels are koi blushing marble with a hint of the blue zebras.it does kinda help in a way. My tank has a marineland c-360 canister filter. But my daughter well... over feed them 1 time when my tank was somewhat in cycle when I only had my 6 angels in it at the time. And since this out break I changed my pads and cleaned up my media. It did have black stuff in it. I clean the tank alot. But when I cleaned the filter my plecos cleared up. That's when I started heat and salt too. So, I must of done something right. I'm still kinda new to this. But I read up alot on everything. Anyways, my black angels fins are perfect. I check her all the time. She's got nothing. But, like I said, I just wounder if it's internal. Or is she really just immune. I've read that alot of times when a fish survives ich will sometimes not get it again. Could she maybe be one of them?or just good jeans?

They cloudy fungus type coating on your sick fish is not usually associated with Ick. That is a symptom of a less lethal strain of Columnairis or an outside chance it could be Oodinium. That might be why your Ick treatment didn't work. I've never had a Columnairis infected fish survive. Treatment for Oodinium is like Ick, heat, WC's, optional salt, with one additional step:
a blacked out tank. The Oodinium needs light. Only had to fight that bug once, and won. No fish loss. Don't panic, just research the noted possible diseases.

This don't really help my situation. My black one is the new angel. And the older angels are koi blushing marble with a hint of the blue zebras.it does kinda help in a way. My tank has a marineland c-360 canister filter. But my daughter well... over feed them 1 time when my tank was somewhat in cycle when I only had my 6 angels in it at the time. And since this out break I changed my pads and cleaned up my media. It did have black stuff in it. I clean the tank alot. But when I cleaned the filter my plecos cleared up. That's when I started heat and salt too. So, I must of done something right. I'm still kinda new to this. But I read up alot on everything. Anyways, my black angels fins are perfect. I check her all the time. She's got nothing. But, like I said, I just wounder if it's internal. Or is she really just immune. I've read that alot of times when a fish survives ich will sometimes not get it again. Could she maybe be one of them?or just good jeans?
This is from a TFH article from 2014:
Fish Immune Response Against Ich Re-Infection
Fish that survive an ich infection can develop an immune response and become resistant to parasite re-infection. Serum and mucus from those immune fish contain antibodies against the parasite. Then, when infective theronts come into contact with anti-ich antibodies, the antibodies cause the theronts to become immobilized. The immobilization causes the theronts to lose their swimming ability. The antibodies also cause the parasites to leave the fish so that ich cannot become established in immune fish. Recently, a few studies showed that vaccines against ich induced protective immunity and could provide a solution to prevent this parasitic disease through vaccination instead of chemical treatments.

Keep in mind however that not all parasites are ICK and not all parasites we call ICK are from the same lines so it is possible to have a single fish come down with "ICK" again when it's from a different source. In your case, it's possible that the newest fish has not gone through enough ( or any) stress bad enough to compromise it's natural immune system to combat the parasites. Whichever the case, hopefully the new Angel will not come down with anything. (y)

Maybe! But the ich X treatment is really strong stuff. We are fighting it, what ever it is. Ich X treats a few other things like ich. I think it's working with the cloudy coat on them. This is only the 3rd day on treatment. I'm hoping it works for everything. I've been trying to build up their immune systems with garlic juice soaked pebbles. They love that. Hope that's helping.

Back
Top Bottom