Angel Fish in a 20 gal. tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a specie of Angel called P. leopaldi which is also called the dwarf angel. It's not as easy to find and doesn't come in the multitude of colors as P. scalare do but they are better suited for the smaller aquarium. Here's a link that describes the 3 different types of Angelfish. The dwarfs are the last part near the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps. (y)
Wow, sorry about that. :( Here's the link:

Freshwater Angelfish Species Profiles and Natural History

For the casual fishkeeper go with a 29 or better for angels. Sure, breeders do pairs in 20 highs, bare tanks, with tanks & gear for a backup. Most people not into the breeding end are lucky to have a half baked plan B, and are less familiar with behavior that would require some intervention.

By the time Joe Casual adds in substrate, plants, and other deco's that 20 gallon is closing in on 15, with the water depth reduced from 16" to about 14", for a tall fish. That is where you have a problem, fins dragging on substrate, Joe adds in a few more fish thinking he's dealing with 20 gallons of water, then wonders why there's problems popping up.

Hey everyone, thanks for your input (even if it did get a little out of hand at times :) )and thanks Andy for that useful article. If anyone else has sugestions for fun fish in a 20 gallon tank I'd love to hear them!

Hey everyone, thanks for your input (even if it did get a little out of hand at times :) )and thanks Andy for that useful article. If anyone else has sugestions for fun fish in a 20 gallon tank I'd love to hear them!
If you were closer I'd say to stop on by and get some of the runts I have. They are nice looking fish but just small and not growing compared to their siblings that are regular sized. These would have no issues with that 20 gal tank. ;) lol

(y)

Honestly, I'm starting to wish I had a larger tank! But this is my first one, so it gives me something to work for.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gouramis are cool, I'm a big fan of apistos myself.. check these out! They'd like a 20tall anyday!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1420381745812.jpg
    1420381745812.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 54
That's a great looking fish! But would apistos be okay in a community tank? The only cichlid I've heard of that's peaceful enough to be with other non-cichlids is the kribensis, and I don't know if 20 gal. would be big enough for them.

Back
Top Bottom