Angel fish swimming straight up and down.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eurithomicin or however its spelled.

what color is he? any red in his body or fins at all?

DO you have a super white LED flashlight by chance?

I found it easier to see when the angel is nearly transparent on the meat part not gut parts, anyways. look at the edges of his fins, cause mine did the exact same things and then the red gills caught my eye.

I am at work right now, but I do have a very bright LED flashlight. I will check him out when I get home in a couple hours and post. I am looking for red in the meat part of his body or on his fins?

no mainly surface and fins, the red wasnt on my angels gutpack so on the meat and fins.

Film over the eye is a sign of a fungal infection. Since he's having trouble swimming there is probably an infection in his swim bladder as well. If you go to your LFS you should be able to find some kind of anti-fungal medication. Also raising the temp won't do anything except deplete oxygen so try to keep it in the mid 70s.

Just to verify is your QT tank cycled? If not ammonia could be causing the red gills despite the water changes. Is your tank plenty aerated? Such as with an airstone or are you letting the water fall a little farther so as to stir up the water? If not, this combined with the higher temp will deplete him of oxygen and make him gasp for air. His gills could turn red from this as well.

My biggest point is that you have an angel with a fungal infection. I hope he gets better once you get medicine!

I filled it with dechlored water and used a HOB from the tank that he came out of. I did readings the day after setting it up and had 0,0,10 for readings. Havent checked it since, will be able to check tonight or tomorrow and post readings. Am going to pet store tonight to see if I can find meds. Thanks for all the help. Will put in airstone also.

Here are some pics. I do have an airstone in the water now and do not turn on the lights at all since they heat up the water. I also shined a bright light on him but didnt see any red spots. He did go to the furthest corner away from the light though.

Attachments

• DSC00526.jpg
    DSC00526.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC00530.jpg
    DSC00530.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC00531.jpg
    DSC00531.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 171
Aww that's so sad! It's definately fungal, looking at that eye. As far as changing the water, since you have no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate issues, it all depends on the meds. It will tell you to change the water, or not to change the water.

Keep us posted!

Also, one more thing: to get rid of the swim bladder problem try getting it to eat a small piece of a pea. I had a goldfish a while back that had a swim bladder issue, and I had to practically hand feed it small tiny pieces of a pea. It worked for a while, until he got sucked against my filter intake and lost his fins....he died shortly after. He was very rolly polly and so couldn't swim even without the bladder issue...sigh

White, how big is the tank yours is in? I had an Angel start to swim on its side when it got bigger. I thought maybe it was blind in one eye because it tended to swim on one side only. He was about 4" tall in a 20 gallon tank (20" high). I gave him to my lfs because I felt bad for it. Turns out he was just fine, he just didn't have enough height in the tank! Once in a tall tank he started swimming upright right away and never swam on his side again.

I got some Jungle fungus clear and put 1 tablet in the 10 gallon tank. It says not to change water unless you add a second dose then only to change 25%. I will follow the directions on the package and see what happens. Thanks for all the help and advice. I will keep you all updated.

Have you measured ph? Swim bladder disorders can result from water acidity.

My angel is now an angel.....

:(:(:(Angel is dead this morning. Guess I did too little too late. Gonna tear down the QT and start working on the 115G to take my mind off it. Thanks to all for the help and advice. I will know more next time. :(:(:(

Oh no! I'm very sorry...

My fiancee's catfish died last night as well. But that's because she didn't cycle....she's new to the hobby as of yet. I'll have to help her next time.

White, how big is the tank yours is in? I had an Angel start to swim on its side when it got bigger. I thought maybe it was blind in one eye because it tended to swim on one side only. He was about 4" tall in a 20 gallon tank (20" high). I gave him to my lfs because I felt bad for it. Turns out he was just fine, he just didn't have enough height in the tank! Once in a tall tank he started swimming upright right away and never swam on his side again.

55g

I wish it was that simple Dizz, its my smallest angel, its brother from the same fry batch is 1/3rd larger then him now and my biggest angel is 7" tip to tip.

I just keep feeding em , he is eating right, well he overshoots the food alot when he is on point with it, he sleeps on his side on the sand, but it swims upright most the time.

It refuses to eat peas, all the fish spit em out, even after 7 days of nothing but peas for food, so I went to brine but live brine and its perked up.

I really have no idea what is up with this fish, I am starting to think the advanced but saved septecemia fight got the best of him in some ways.

This is the first time using qt tank. I am tearing down the tank. I am throwing away the filter elements and cleaning everything with water/bleach mixure. Anything else I need to do with the tank?

Back
Top Bottom