angelfish and cichlids: do they mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 24-28 gallon tank and i dont want to make any mistakes! Can I keep 4 angelfish and 2 or 4 malawi cichlids together with space to add more fish (doesn't matter if I can't) - Thanks

I thought angelfish were cichlids? Not sure if they are compatible with the malawis though. I remember reading that Africans don't mix with New World cichlids, but I've never kept them.

Angels are cichlids. South American. I don't think that they can be mixed. African's (Lake Malawi) like a higher pH than South Americans. Plus, a 24 or 28 gal tank isn't large enough for most Malawi's. One that comes to mind that will be fine in a 28 gal tank would be the Yellow Lab's.

I read that yellow labs are malawi cichlids. So it is ok to keep some species of malawis with the angels as long as they do not get too big and are reasonably friendly? Or were you suggesting Yellow labs because of their size?

P.s. If africans are not able to go able to go with the south american varieties..how about the south american cichlids: rams, checkerboards or firemouths?

they require different pH's do they not.. im not really familiar with south american cichlids, but the malawis require a higher pH im sure

I mean I have had success with all of my fish which shouldn't be at the current pH.. did some acclimating, I mean its not natural (having them in the pH, african fish and south american fish), I will admit, but everyone is healthy and each one of my fish have spawned atleast once.

yellow labs are great fish, as are the johannis and bumble bee cichlids.. they all have a nice little personality.. mine really havent displayed any aggression at all but I am pretty sure they soon will..

I was suggesting the yellow labs because of their size.

Thanew- Watch out for the Johanni's. They can become pretty aggressive.

A 24-28 gal tank is only big enough to house one angel so 4 angels aren't gonna work. I also wouldn't mix the angels with malawi's. There are some SA cichlids you could add with the angel. Rams do well with angels. You may be able to add a pair of those. Then maybe some top swimming fish like a pair blue eyed rainbows. Good luck with your new tank.

I have had success with angels in the same tank as Bolivian rams and a geophagus proximus.

rams are also SA cichlids ... mixing african with SA or CA cichlids is not an option. not only different pH's but also different temperments.

I am sure that it has been done before but i really wouldn't recommend it

"I am sure that it has been done before but i really wouldn't recommend it"

Yup, I have that going on the 150 right now with the Parrots.

Thanks for everyone's advice. :D . So the general message is only keep SA cichlids with the angels.

Also how about a columbian shark, they are from SA, but how compatible would they be with the angels? I saw one and liked the look of it.

Also also would I be able to keep 4 angels in a 55 gal tank with other fish?

Back
Top Bottom