Angelfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a pair of angelfish in a community tank. They laid eggs yesterday in the input end of the filter and they were protecting them fine but woke up this morning and they were gone, not that I was expecting them to stay.

So I was wondering is there anyways I can raise the eggs myself when they lay next time or any other way to raise them?

I don’t have another tank to put them in or I would have done

Angels breeding in a community tank will usually feel threaten by other fish, thinking other fish will eat the eggs, or other fish coming into their area. I'd try a divider if your looking to breed them. You can make your own for a quick fix. If they have an area to themselves, they usually do the work to raise them. You will still need another tank for the baby's to beable to grow out when they start eating food. Make sure you have things ready when it happens again. They grow fast. ?

I saw them defending the eggs when the lights were on they tend to breed around 9-10. And the next morning they are gone. I was wondering would leaving a moonlight light on during the night help at all to see where the eggs are and guarding them?
I was thinking about a divider but wasn’t sure on how I would go about make it
I do have a small tank to raise the babies but not a tank big enough for the pair

Just look up DIY fish tank dividers. You'll find something that works. That's the best thing to do. Moon light don't do anything. They will still feel threatened. Lights off might help. But still a threat. You can make dividers out of alot of things. Even if you gotta collect rocks and make a rock wall. Plastic lid to a tote put some holes in it and make it fit. Things like that. Hope it works out. Good luck!

I pull my angels eggs and artificially hatch them.
You have to remove what they lay the eggs on so getting something that makes them happy and will be easy to pull is trick one.
I use slate cut to reasonable size.The one I use now is only 2" wide by 6".
I hang it from rim of tank near surface and they like it.They like vertical things near the surface.
I hatch them in a small container that holds about 1-2 Qts. water.I float it to keep it same temp as tank.I add an airstone and 1 drop of methylene blue.In a couple days the eggs hatch and become wigglers.You then need to change 50-75% of the water to remove the MB.It will be another 3 or so days until they are free swimming.After free swimming I start mine on freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.
The parents may eventually get the hang of it but the other fish will only lead to few survivors IMO.If the eggs on the intake tube hatched[or for them to have] you would have had to shut off filter or removed the tube from the tank.
My angels have laid eggs on intakes ,heaters ,heater wires! and plant leaves.
Get a slate and place it in front of the intake to encourage them.
Good luck !

Thank your for the advice guys. As for lights off I have been doing that so far they are on timers and the next morning they are gone so I thought if I left the moonlight on they would be able to see the eggs and guard them better.

As for dividers I’m trying to find something suitable and big enough for my tank but not finding anything as of yet

I’ll try to artificially raise them like you said. But I was thinking would keeping it in a breeding net in the same tank with an airstone near the eggs works?

So far never seen any of the eggs the next morning so either the patients eat them, they turn white or the other fish eat them.

Be careful of home made tank dividers, and some commercial ones too. You could seriously affect the circulation and oxygenation of the side away from the filter. One good material is "orange crate" or lighting panels. They are open enough to allow circulation and relatively easy to cut.

A 3x12 piece of slate standing next to the filter intake will encourage them to spawn there. You could set up your small tank and when they spawn on the slate, pull it and put it in the small tank with an air stone and meth blue. If they spawn on the filter intake just take that and put it into the small tank. Once the eggs hatch, the wigglers come off the slate pretty easy. If you left them in the big tank you would have to turn your filter off if you didn't want them sucked into the filter intake.

Back
Top Bottom