Angelfish eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aisforangelfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g freshwater community tank that is home to three lg angels, three juvenile angels, four diamond tetras, four black neons, four danios, and a mollie. My tank has a stealth heater, three weaker powerheads and a ugf, as well as a penguine biowheel (the size recommended for a 70 g). I just use prime and stress coat to treat my water and my fish have been very happy and grown a lot. The tank is well seasoned and has no ammonia or nitrite readings and a 7.0 pH. I usually keep it at about 81 degrees or so. I recently bucketed my fish and tore apart and cleaned my ugf as I usually do every six months to a year just to purge those hard to reach places. I think this made my water so pristine that my angels laid their eggs. I've had the tank for 4 years and my angels for almost 2. I also have previous experience hatching veiled chameleon eggs previously which takes approx. 9 months and is quite technical so I am up for the challenge of hatching these eggs. Last time I tried to hatch angelfish eggs I separated them in a container. They hatched and slowly became free swimming but then all of them suddenly died after that. I suspected unstable temperature or water quality because of the size of container was approx 2g. I was also hatching brine for them to eat. I'm wondering if it's possible in my situation to get a tank divider and separate my two devout parent angelfish in the side with their eggs and turn off that powerhead in that corner and let the parents try to raise them this time. There would be a possibility of the gravel being a problem as I have regular aquarium gravel but the current going through it would be very weak. I could add more cartridges to my penguin (which is on the other end of the tank from the action). The parents are taking really good care of the eggs. So far I don't see any spoiled eggs and other fish haven't been able to even come near. Please advise me. I'd really rather not get rid of every other fish in the tank but I'm not %100 opposed to the idea of an additional smaller tank. Thanks!

I'm sorry to read about your angelfish fry. It is difficult to tell exactly what caused them to die from what you wrote. I've had unexpected fry deaths, too, without being able to explain why it happened. I like to keep the newly hatched fry in a relatively small tank (1-2 gallons) if they are going to be away from their parents so they can find their food easier. My last unexpected death was in transferring the fry to a 10 gallon tank too early.

It was in the summer and I originally had them in the bathroom at room temp about 75 and that's where they hatched and seemed to be doing ok. I moved the container into my spare bedroom and I think it got too warm. Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it! I got a tank divider and think I'm going to divide them from the rest of the tank and see what happens this time.

Back
Top Bottom