Angelfish Owners/Experts Come Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my 40 I have two mated pair of angels and one 4 ish inch pink gourami and also 9 glofish. Never have any problems with the setup. All are very peaceful. Unless my angels mate then they protect their eggs until I remove them. Then it's all good again. Good luck with your tank.

You did mention you were looking at different species of angels...well...

I'm hear to tell you there is an angel called a dwarf angelfish, also known as Leopold's Angelfish. Although quite rare, it only gets two to three inches long. It would be fine in thirty gallons :)

You did mention you were looking at different species of angels...well...

I'm hear to tell you there is an angel called a dwarf angelfish, also known as Leopold's Angelfish. Although quite rare, it only gets two to three inches long. It would be fine in thirty gallons :)

Leopoldi, if you can even find them are very aggressive, not to mention expensive( altums are cheaper). They would definitely need a large preferably planted tank with multiple fish to spread the aggression.

Since we are talking about angels, does anyone know how to tell the sexes apart? Dont mean to jack the thread, but thought it a good forum to ask.

Since we are talking about angels, does anyone know how to tell the sexes apart? Dont mean to jack the thread, but thought it a good forum to ask.
there like oscars,you cant tell until they pair off and you see who lays the eggs and who fertilizes

+1 alLexX. That's true. The only way to tell is when they pair off. When they are mature enough and they are in pairs, you will see a breeding organ on the bottom that the female uses to release her eggs on something, ex. piece of driftwood. The male then runs over the eggs to fertelize them or something, not sure. Those organs are called papillas, you will tell the difference because a female has a big round papilla while the male has a long skinny papilla. Hope this helped!
As for the Leopoldi's Angelfish, I never knew they got agressive! I have read online that they are fine as a community fish, experience must be much different! Hmm...

+1 alLexX. That's true. The only way to tell is when they pair off. When they are mature enough and they are in pairs, you will see a breeding organ on the bottom that the female uses to release her eggs on something, ex. piece of driftwood. The male then runs over the eggs to fertelize them or something, not sure. Those organs are called papillas, you will tell the difference because a female has a big round papilla while the male has a long skinny papilla. Hope this helped!
As for the Leopoldi's Angelfish, I never knew they got agressive! I have read online that they are fine as a community fish, experience must be much different! Hmm...

Is it possible to go to a store that specializes in fish, not Walmart or Petsmart, I mean like a real aquarium store, that breeds its own fish, and ask them if they have a pair of Angels that have already spawned once together? I was thinking about doing this to make sure I get a male and a female.....

Is it possible to go to a store that specializes in fish, not Walmart or Petsmart, I mean like a real aquarium store, that breeds its own fish, and ask them if they have a pair of Angels that have already spawned once together? I was thinking about doing this to make sure I get a male and a female.....
I wish I could find a store that bred their own fish!

sometimes you can pick out males/females by watching their behavior in the tank. I have a LFS that has a tank full of adult angels and I've successfully picked out a few different m/f pairs from the bunch. Also some of the males will have a slight hump on their forehead. It's not a guaranteed thing, but it's just one of the things I look for. That, along with a larger general size and more aggressive behavior indicates a male to me.

Adult females tend to be more round in the belly as well.

my kissing gouramis are the most peaceful fish they dont mess with anyone , my male opaline now thats another story

I'd say a pair would not be a good choice for a 29g. I have a single female koi angel in my 30g long with some tetras (neons, von rios) and they do just fine. The only thing my angel ever ate were guppies. She must have ate at least 12 adults and hundreds of fry over the years. She has never picked on the tetras, they are just too fast.

I travel about 80 minutes to get to Welcome to Preuss Pets! | Preuss Pets - Lansing, MI but it is soooo worth it. They have hundreds of fish in sooo many species. And they know what they are doing! The people there know me by name :cool: and I always get BEAUTIFUL, long lasting fish from there.

I have heard about them too. I know someone from another site who works there, and it sounds amazing the way he talks about it.

I'd say a pair would not be a good choice for a 29g. I have a single female koi angel in my 30g long with some tetras (neons, von rios) and they do just fine. The only thing my angel ever ate were guppies. She must have ate at least 12 adults and hundreds of fry over the years. She has never picked on the tetras, they are just too fast.

Really? I've always heard different. I have a thirty gallon with some cardinal tetras, cories and rams. I would be willing to take out the rams to house the single angel but people have had different thoughts that the angel would get too agreessive.

Really? I've always heard different. I have a thirty gallon with some cardinal tetras, cories and rams. I would be willing to take out the rams to house the single angel but people have had different thoughts that the angel would get too agreessive.

She's been in my 30g since January of 2009 with no problems. She has laid countless batches of eggs even though she hasn't seen a male in years. Definitely one of my favorite fish, such a lively personality.

Everything I have researched on Angelfish say it isn't best to keep them alone or in odd numbers, it says to always keep them in a pair... :(

Angelaa122 said:
Thank you everyone. This helps a lot. If anyone has ever kept tetras or any other kind of schooling fish with Angels peacefully, please let me know what kinds. I do like the idea of a school of tetras, but I need to know what kind of tetras an Angelfish won't eat or nip at.

I've done neons and black skirt tetra with angels, and I have had great success so IMO, I'd do them, they are all really peaceful fish.

spoonman said:

Google angel sex differentiating, and you'll find it. It's something like this:
Males have a bulkier forehead and an oblong diamond shape while females have a flat forehead and a relatively perfect diamond shape.

Back
Top Bottom