Angelfish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aweav

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have 2 breeding angels, but today we noticed that they are lip locking. Like biting and shaking each others lips. Is this something to do with Courting or just fighting in general?

Many cichlids do this during courting/mating (I've seen it in both oscars and convicts). Sometimes, such as when it's two males, it's just a test of strength/dominance though.

I'd say keep an eye on things to be sure it doesn't get out of hand, but they're probably just testing each other out before breeding again.

This would be strange if they have already paired up and produced offspring. It is indeed a sign of mating behavior, usually reserved at the beginning of the pairing, to determine who is who.

Are there other angels in the tank? Perhaps there are some wandering eyes going on.

That's only halfway kidding. Angels do tend to form very strong bonds, but it could be possible that one of them is trying to firm up the relationship.

There is only the 2 of them, and they have never done it before. They have since stopped but i guess i will keep an eye on them if it gets worse.

Strange as it is, my mated pair of angels do that every single time before they lay eggs. That's how I know I will have eggs within a few days.

they might just be males trying to determine who's side if the tank is who's

Back
Top Bottom