Angelfish Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Few questions regarding angles I couldn't find online. Here's the tank they will be going into: 55g, amazon inspired, planted. Inhabitants: 10-15 cardinal tetra (I know they may eat these - I'm getting juvenile angels to try and lessen the possibility of this), 10-15 rummynose tetra, 6 cories, and 5 ottos OR BN pleco).

1. Was planning on 2 angels but would 4 be ok in this tank, even during breeding?

2. Is it necessary to get a male and a female? What if I got 2 females or 2 males (or 4 females/males).

3. If I got a male and a female, is it an issue if they don't pair up?

Thanks, I'm a total angel newbie.

1. No. We have like 5 in our 60g. When mine in my 37g laid eggs I didn't see any unusual aggression.

2. Not necessary. I didn't sex the ones I got, but I highly doubt that I got 5 males or 5 females.

3. Also no. They aren't necessarily schooling but the more the merrier.

Few questions regarding angles I couldn't find online. Here's the tank they will be going into: 55g, amazon inspired, planted. Inhabitants: 10-15 cardinal tetra (I know they may eat these - I'm getting juvenile angels to try and lessen the possibility of this), 10-15 rummynose tetra, 6 cories, and 5 ottos OR BN pleco).

1. Was planning on 2 angels but would 4 be ok in this tank, even during breeding?

2. Is it necessary to get a male and a female? What if I got 2 females or 2 males (or 4 females/males).

3. If I got a male and a female, is it an issue if they don't pair up?

Thanks, I'm a total angel newbie.

If it's the standard 48" long 55 gal tank, 4 would be fine. If you are getting small fish to grow up, then sexing them will be near impossible and it won't matter. ;) As for question #3, it's more an issue if they do pair up than if they don't. Breeding Angels can get very aggressive towards other Angels and fish in the tank when they want to spawn. If your goal is not to breed them, I suggest you separate any 2 that appear to be pairing up ( as in fighting with the other fish) so that they don't spawn in the community tank. There's a caviat to this however. Angels live in a hierarchy society so there is a significant difference between fighting for pairing and fighting to establish supremacy. You won't have to worry about the breeding part for a while if the fish are small when you get them but they can start breeding at 8 months old so you will only have a few months, if all goes well, to get to know their habits and when those habits change or get more aggressive. Here's a link to a post that has videos of both types of fighting: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/angelfish-mating-ritual-318326-3.html#post3038223 ( post #23)

Hope this helps (y)

Awesome, thanks guys! That was much easier than I expected.

So you think this would be good in terms of stocking level? Just looking for second opinions as it's hard to visualize in the tank sometimes.

10-15 cardinal tetra
10-15 rummynose tetra
4x angelfish
6-10x false juli cory
5x otto

Awesome, thanks guys! That was much easier than I expected.

So you think this would be good in terms of stocking level? Just looking for second opinions as it's hard to visualize in the tank sometimes.

10-15 cardinal tetra
10-15 rummynose tetra
4x angelfish
6-10x false juli cory
5x otto

As you have already commented, you are taking your chances with the Tetras and Angels. There are no guarantees that will work. Heavy planting may help you out with it tho. (y) You may want to stick with 10 vs 15 of those tetras if there's not a lot of swimming space due to the plants. :whistle:

As you have already commented, you are taking your chances with the Tetras and Angels. There are no guarantees that will work. Heavy planting may help you out with it tho. (y) You may want to stick with 10 vs 15 of those tetras if there's not a lot of swimming space due to the plants. :whistle:

Great. Yep, the plan was to do 10 & 10 of each schooling fish and see how it looked. Am I correct in assuming the cardinals are more at risk than the rummynose with the rummynose being slightly bigger & tighter schoolers?

Back
Top Bottom