Angels are spawning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up a tank in September and added 3 angels in October...just nickel sized ones. They have grown like bad weeds and it turns out (I believe) that the two I have left are a pair - they laid eggs yesterday.

They are guarding them as I type - the eggs appear clear still, a good thing!

I definitely have to let them hatch in the tank as they spawned on the glass, I'll get them a breeding slate this week. The only tank mates are 2 clown loaches and 2 ottos. Would it be possible to leave the free swimming fry in the tank or should I try to pull them out when they become free swimming? So far the parents are chasing away any fish that looks at them sideways.

The filter is an aquaclear 30 and I thought I'd just put a sponge over the intake. Would feeding the fry be an issue in a 30 gallon tank? I have lots of bbs as I raise seahorses too. I know with the seahorses you need to get good feeding density but then again the seahorses are probably lazier than the angel fry.

Thanks

Carolyn

Congrats Carolyn. The loaches are apt to be a problem when the fry become free swimming. If you want to raise them, it might be wise to siphon them into their own tank once they become free swimming. bbs a perfect first food.

congratz Carolyn .. i agree with Brian ... the loaches will eat the fry and possibly the eggs if the angels let their guards down. It has happened to me all too many times.

best of luck with them!!

Thanks - I thought they might be a problem. I'll try to siphon off the free swimmers (if they get there) I hope I'm around when that happens. I bet the parents will be very PO'd with me

:wink:

Carolyn

Day 2

I can see tails! Looks like there are quite a few good eggs

Angels were acting weird last night, "kissing each other on the lips", is this some kind of aggression thing going on ? Is it normal?

Carolyn

Congrats!
Yeah, the locking lips is aggression, watch over them and make sure they don't hurt each other.

:D Sorry to disagree Rok. The lip locking is also referred to as a pre spawning kiss. It isn't unusual for cichlids to continue this behavior during a spawn. Kind of like they are testing each others ability to defend the brood. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom