Angels in 65 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEAUCASTLE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
These are my 11 angel fish. The 65 gallon tank is mounted where the fire would be in a walnut mantle. This is our new house and we owned a custom cabinet shop so were able to build some special things including this mantle. The tank backs into the master bedroom where there is a drain and hot and cold water in the wall (the plumber used the set-up that is used for a washing machine.)

All the fish are gold veiled pearl scale angels who we all enjoy watching including the cats. It is in the kitchen/family room and there is a flat screen above the mantle so during commercials we watch the fish. These are the most hungry fish I have ever seen. They actually beg for food.

Attachments

• FishwMantle.jpg
    FishwMantle.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 11Fish.jpg
    11Fish.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 342
Thanks...

Right now the back is all exposed but... I am going to have a box on casters built that will cover the tank but roll out of the way for me to work on the tank. I will do some trompe l'oeil painting on the box to make it interesting. It also has a TV above it.

Attachments

• Back of Tank.jpg
    Back of Tank.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 224
Just curious though....are you keeping so many together to get a pair? The angels will invariably grow to a perfect 65 gal size, but 11 fullgrown angels in a 65gal is pretty much impossible.
You will likely get a pair from stocking them as juveniles in that number, but they will be way too big to be kept in the 65 gallon all together. Any plans?

I had a 55 gallon tank years ago with 7-8 angels that worked fine. I guess when it becomes a problem I will find homes for some of the fish. I am not interested in breeding. My initial research indicated that with more fish they tend to not be as territorial. I know that a breeding pair can really dominate a tank. I did design the tank so there were places to "hide." So... my plan is to deal with it when I need to.

At this point it is a calm, compatible tank. There is one small fish who has been a little aggressive since the beginning. These fish were all nickel-sized when I bought them except one quarter-sized who interestingly now acts like the benevolent big daddy. I know it is pointless to get rid of the little aggressive one because another will just step up.

Any advice for keeping the fish happy as long as possible?

very nice. i had 12 angels in my 120. ended up with 5 pair and it was ww3. there was always a pair breeding on both ends and some times in the middle. even with hiding places when they are breeding size you will prob want to cut down to 4 or 2 pairs. they are wonderful fish.

I changed the angle of the water tube and it is now making bubbles. The fish are playing.. I know they think the bubbles are food but it is cool to watch. Before this I had the input shooting across the top of the water and the fish were taking rides on the current.

I am the one who had the input and output backwards for 5 months.... Better tank now. DUH

Thanks for the kudos. I have always had slightly cloudy water. I have backed down the feeding and now my water is perfectly clear. The fish beg ALL THE TIME. They don't seem to be growing as fast, but none are fighting so all is good.

That is awesome that they are not fighting. I am down from 7 to 3 in my 84G. 2 have paired off and systematically killed the others. Congrats!

Based on what everyone has said, they will start fighting eventually. I am going to enjoy the peace while i can.

I know what DIY means in general but what does it mean in reference to a fish tank? Do people "decorate" tanks for living?

I wonder if these fish all being from the same "litter" is helping them get along?

The previous post said "cool DIY work" and I was not certain what they meant except, of course, it was a compliment.

i was talking about the frame you built custom for the front of the tank. it looks great.

Back
Top Bottom