Angels in a 20 or 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DASHRIMPMONSTER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I’m doing this for a friend... he loves angels, and in a species only tank, or maybe a bristlenose, many angels in a 20 and 29 gallon tank?

I would say 2 angelfish in a 20g would be ok, as long as they arent both male as there wouldnt be enough territory for them to avoid each other.

I have two koi male/female currently in a twenty. It is getting a bit tight and I do plan on upgrading soon, but it is possible.

I’m not saying anything about stocking, but if only getting a pair, would it lower aggression to only get females

No more than 1.

That should be ok for ONE angel. Plus maybe some small tankmates like cherry barbs or something. Definitely too small for multiple angels imo.

My regular Angels allowed to grow up in a large tank became the size of my medium woman's size hand - opened up fingers spread out, and we're talking a 72G. TMaiers recent little baby Angel has grown by leaps and bounds as an example. So I don't think I could even say if you were planning on upgrading in a year, but more like 6 months.

Yes the fish would fit, but even my 72G bowfront tank with these big adult, matured Angels and beautiful long fins, it was too short really for them! They need room for living their life. Which would be preferred a dinky dorm room or an "american dream" sized 2000 foot home? Relative speaking in terms of tanks.

Fish swim around, a lot.

I get it... thanks for the advice, also I've been researching goldfish, and do you think pure goldfish is a good site?

My setup plan is a 20 gallon long, with hornwort, amazon swords, duckweed(ik thats not gldfish proof), a 200 gph HOB, good lighting, 25% weekly water changes, and carib sea eco substrate

In researching Goldfish, some sites mention not needing large tanks for the fish. For this specific site, I am not familiar of the top of my head, they have very similar sounding names with Goldfish in it ( :) ).

If a person is not familiar with humane and proper water care of fish and an understanding of how the nitrification cycle (aka "cycle") works it would be a death trap.

This sticky thread, shows what type of growth could be achieved with ideal / near perfect care. And good genetics, but at even half that growth with lesser genetics of fish from the average pet store, big tanks are needed, just to mitigate swings in water parameters from feeding and waste when the fish mature.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

other information in threads can be searched here
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f135/

FYI I am NOT trolling, but someone who just goes on the web and youtube and sees tanks like 20 gallons long and theres like 3 goldfish in it; sry if it irritates u :(

Also, I've heard that a 20 gallon long is like a 29 gallon, because the footprint is the same...

Also it all wasnt loading 4 me, so I did another post. I was thinking of a betta sorority, although, I heard that it might not work out, and then a shrimp tank, but those don't have too much personality, so I looked at the goldies and the angels.:(

Glad you’re not a troll. It just seems like your going for too much fish for too small space. There is so much bad info on the web it’s definitely hard to figure it out. Right and wrong.

Always consider your fish grow. Maximum adult size. Unless you are free to upsize your tank quickly.

Small fish with big personalities that definitely interact with you, I’ve had luck with are bettas and dwarf pea puffers. The dwarf peas usually insist on live foods. Ramshorn snails and grindal worms can be raised at home to feed your puff.

And cherry shrimp are really fun to watch. Those shrimp are always busy and the thrill of seeing them respond to goodies or new babies is great.

If you want a fancy flurry of activity male guppies are very showy and love to flutter around excited during feeding time.

I subscribe to a few group forums and often trolls will post pics of fish in too small a tank just to inflame the members. Or ask if you can put an Oscar in a 10g tank, just to make us all crazy. We care about our fish friends.

If you’ve ever seen the impact of a fish kept in too small of a tank, it’s really sad.

Pea puffers are DEFINITELY out of question, since I'm not too experienced, my experience is like 6 months now, bettas, I don't want to support large chain pet stores, so no, and shrimp... what size tank would you reccomend? Would a 20 gallon long with 5 female bettas, idk about them since I would have to look for a breeder, Blue velvets, about 15 pygmies, and some endlers be ok, or would I have to take out the bettas?:thanks: Also, I'm just a middle schooler with a super low budget that can't afford anything higher than 20 gallons:thanks: Or I could go for some different corys if you know any that are really hardy.

Dashrimpmonster, glad you made it here, where there isn't a norm of 3 GF in a 10G.

Depending if you have someone who can help you move a bigger tank / can have a bigger tank in your space, watching for thrift store and moving sales on line and around your neighborhood. Many people want to sell their tanks for a high-ish price and it doesn't sell and they have to move. Often it will list free just to get rid of it.

Of course always have adult(s) with you and public place, etc. for safety.

Adopt a Betta from someone getting rid of it, also often free, I see them at least a couple or more every month. Or like $5 for (dumb) bowl and foods and supplies, etc.

There are also home breeders which have so many fish after each breeding that they often also have too many sometimes, and sometimes they are just reasonably priced. Sometimes they are listed a bit expensively just to make sure that you're not going to use them for fighting, food , be a throw away fish (get tired of it and flush, ignore) and if you explain your awareness about care and fish keeping goals you can get a better price (and that you are a young person).

Also although meetings in person are limited, Aquarium Society groups are all over the world and promote the hobby of fish keeping, especially to youth. Our club always has special items for the youth only, at cheap prices and some free to promote the hobby for them. Here is a place which lists the major ones
https://fishlab.com/local-fish-and-aquarium-clubs/

Going to club meetings (when they resume) often gets contact with very wise, long time keepers / breeders who also share fish.

Best sizes for tanks in the small to medium group are 20G long, 29G long 30 or 40G breeder tank are all ideal for the swimming that fish generally love to do, due to the horizontal space.

Tmaier is on target with some great ideas for fish in a smaller tank.

Online groups can be connections for free and lower priced stuff as well. Also getting a parent approved side hustle can net you lots of spare fish money!

Umm.. no, I don't get any help managing and moving my tanks around. Also, can you list those websites where they sell those tanks for free:)

Back
Top Bottom