Angels: Need a clarity on feeding "Australian Black Worms"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockarolla70

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Angels: Need a clarity on feeding "Australian Black Worms"

I need a clarity on this, this question may sound stupid but still ...

Can we feed "Australian Black Worms" to Angels ? (pic attached)
a) If NO, why ??
b) If YES, then can they be fed on a daily basis ?
c) If NO, why ??
d) If YES, will the bio-load have a effect on a planted tank in any negative way ?
e) If NO, any other side effects for the angels.

https://www.blackworms.com.au/default.asp

Attachments

• Australian Black Worms.jpg
    Australian Black Worms.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Should be fine to feed - I’d make them part of a varied diet though. On the plus side for Australia, our bio-security is pretty strict so I’d say pretty risk-free of disease / traces of meds.

The bio-load wouldn’t impact a planted tank imo but way to test is keep an idea on ph / kh if soft water. Sudden decrease could be increased bacterial activity. Should be fine though in normal tank.

Feed flake and/or pellet food first and worms last. That has been the best practice IME with Angels and many other fish.

Should be fine to feed - I’d make them part of a varied diet though. On the plus side for Australia, our bio-security is pretty strict so I’d say pretty risk-free of disease / traces of meds.

The bio-load wouldn’t impact a planted tank imo but way to test is keep an idea on ph / kh if soft water. Sudden decrease could be increased bacterial activity. Should be fine though in normal tank.

Thanx Delapool.

I've noticed a marked increase in nitrates when feeding live black worms or frozen blood worms in in my tanks, which are all planted. Perhaps it's just feeding more than I would when I feed dry foods, which I can't know because I don't weigh the foods though I do try to do a similar volume each time, but it doesn't seem to unbelievable to me to think that perhaps they're more calorically dense than dry foods. This is just an observation; I don't consider it a problem and it doesn't raise nitrates to an unacceptable level but I'm conscientious of feeding those foods too often, though of course for other reasons that's inadvisable as well.

Get bottom feeder clean up crew or change water more often. Getting a system down that works well is the first battle.

Back
Top Bottom