Another dumb question....on lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 660 watts of vho lighting. This barely exceeds the recommended 4 watts per gallon minimum. 4 of the bulbs are 50/50's and 2 are actinics.
My question is about the actinics. I have read that they should be on for no more than 5 hours per day. If I shut them off, am i not then, under the recommended lighting and would this not be a bad thing? Just about as soon as the actinics go off, the corals start closing. The condy is doing great except about once a day, for a couple hours, it shrinks down to nothingness. It is nicely seated, eats well, fully inflates for most of the day. The color on the foot is a brilliant salmon color. I thought this could be a lighting thing and can not find anything that is common to when it does its incredible shrinking act it does it randomly. So I am guessing it is not too much actinic light.

hmm......i thought actnic was purely cosmetic. i have never heard of it having negative effects. in fact it is great at keeping red algae from growing in you tank.

the lighting goes on at 7 am and normally goes off at about 10 pm. Is this too much? I do most of my work in the tanks around 8-10 pm

lights

You might want to delay the turn on to get closer to the 12 hrs per day. One thing I have heard of people doing is setting the actinics to come on 15-30 min before the rest of the lights to simulate dusk/dawn. Might be an idea?
Logan J

coraline needs light

in fact depending on the amount of light and the spectrum of light you can get difference colors of coraline on your rocks and glass.

Back
Top Bottom