Another freshy converting, 3 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I had a 4g pico not too long ago and it was a really fun tank. :) I had a green clown goby and a ton of corals. Also had a nice assortment of inverts too, including shrimp. I love shrimp they are so awesome.

Good luck

I know, I read your thread:) yeah, I don't know if I could get a fish in mine though..

I had the 3 gallon Pico set up for over a year before moving last year.Get another Pico filter from Drs.Foster and Smith for about 10 bucks,put one on each side to increase your flow and filteration.Also get the little 25 watt heater from Walmart.You can look at videos of mine on YouTube.Plug in Ricksreef1 and you will see two or three videos of mine.I only used the light that came with it and you can see what all I was able to maintain ,did a 50% water change every two weeks.

Ricksreef said:
I had the 3 gallon Pico set up for over a year before moving last year.Get another Pico filter from Drs.Foster and Smith for about 10 bucks,put one on each side to increase your flow and filteration.Also get the little 25 watt heater from Walmart.You can look at videos of mine on YouTube.Plug in Ricksreef1 and you will see two or three videos of mine.I only used the light that came with it and you can see what all I was able to maintain ,did a 50% water change every two weeks.

Awesome!! I'll go look now!

Ricksreef said:

Wow nice tank! Could you possible tell me what all was I there? :) I have no clue what they all were.. Except I think I saw a feather duster?? Not really sure.

00youknowit00 said:
Wow nice tank! Could you possible tell me what all was I there? :) I have no clue what they all were.. Except I think I saw a feather duster?? Not really sure.

I had the feather duster,some orange zoo's and green ones.Anthelia waving hand,feather leather coral and some macro algae.Some of the stuff that grew from the rock I don't even know the names.Also a couple of Ricordea mushrooms.
Had three sexy shrimp,one Golden coral banded shrimp and the neon goby.
The other video of the Pico when I first started shows a fire fish and clown.They were being held for a friend and were only in the tank for a week.
The shrimp and neon goby were the permanent tank mates.

Ricksreef said:
I had the feather duster,some orange zoo's and green ones.Anthelia waving hand,feather leather coral and some macro algae.Some of the stuff that grew from the rock I don't even know the names.Also a couple of Ricordea mushrooms.
Had three sexy shrimp,one Golden coral banded shrimp and the neon goby.
The other video of the Pico when I first started shows a fire fish and clown.They were being held for a friend and were only in the tank for a week.
The shrimp and neon goby were the permanent tank mates.

I'll look those up, thanks! :)

Picture time!! :D
Tank set up (not sure of the final placement, but this is probably where it'll be):
ForumRunner_20120101_174807.jpg

Filter:
ForumRunner_20120101_174830.jpg

The bulb that's in there, it's half white half blue, 9w fixture:
ForumRunner_20120101_174855.jpg

Media that came with the filter, with close ups:
ForumRunner_20120101_174918.jpg

ForumRunner_20120101_174936.jpg

Is this carbon? It looks different.
ForumRunner_20120101_174956.jpg

ForumRunner_20120101_175020.jpg

That last picture looks like it might be biomedia or even ammonia remover. If its biomedia I would throw it in, can't hurt. :)

I just ran the stock filter and media with mine and it was fine. Tank is so small it does a pretty good job too.

carey said:
That last picture looks like it might be biomedia or even ammonia remover. If its biomedia I would throw it in, can't hurt. :)

I just ran the stock filter and media with mine and it was fine. Tank is so small it does a pretty good job too.

Hmmm, if I replaced it with BioMax or just more filter pad would that be better? Cause I don't think I want ammonia remover.

If it IS ammonia remover you arent supposed to use them in a marine tank anyways. so not 100% on what it really is.

I think the biomax would be fine to add. It's entirely up to you, as long as there is some water flow and filtering of particulate matter you should be set.

carey said:
If it IS ammonia remover you arent supposed to use them in a marine tank anyways. so not 100% on what it really is.

I think the biomax would be fine to add. It's entirely up to you, as long as there is some water flow and filtering of particulate matter you should be set.

That being said, I think I'll just put in more filter pad, I have a ton of it.

Safer this way:)

Test kit? If u dont mind me asking how much was this tank? id really lime to get one. If theyd hold a clown id definitely get one. Depending on price i might get one just to get it.

Travis55 said:
Test kit? If u dont mind me asking how much was this tank? id really lime to get one. If theyd hold a clown id definitely get one. Depending on price i might get one just to get it.

Its 3 gallons, that cant hold any fish at all IMO

Travis55 said:

Just ordered it:)

They can't hold any fish except maybe a neon goby (some say). Invertebrates only. Google ”JBJ 3 gallon picotope” under the shopping part, prices galore! :D

00youknowit00 said:
Just ordered it:)

They can't hold any fish except maybe a neon goby (some say). Invertebrates only. Google ”JBJ 3 gallon picotope” under the shopping part, prices galore! :D

Looked it up. Around $40. Not bad. Are the lights strong enough to support corals?

Okay so I talked to my lfs and the good live rock with coraline and such, IS 12.99 A POUND!!! But I have a friend who has a couple sw tanks and said he wouldn't mind giving me some rock that would fit and be well in a 3g. Most of it isn't alll cycled, so im going to hopefully get like 6-7lbs from him, the go get the crazy expensive, good live rock from my lfs to seed it really well.

00youknowit00 said:
Okay so I talked to my lfs and the good live rock with coraline and such, IS 12.99 A POUND!!! But I have a friend who has a couple sw tanks and said he wouldn't mind giving me some rock that would fit and be well in a 3g. Most of it isn't alll cycled, so im going to hopefully get like 6-7lbs from him, the go get the crazy expensive, good live rock from my lfs to seed it really well.

Get it set up quick! Lol i wanna see pics!

Back
Top Bottom