Another Update & Current API Test Results for 60 Gallon Cycle -- Please Advise...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay. Just performed a 50% water change on my 10 gallon goldie tank and lightly rinsed off the carbon cartridge in the Aqueon filter attached to it with the discarded tank water -- the floss was actually filthy, so this little QuietFlow 20 must be doing some kind of job filtering the water in the 10 gallon, even with its rather "weak" return flow...

I also took fresh readings on the 60 gallon; even with all the waste the little Black Moor is producing on her own in the tank and what appeared to be a bacterial bloom or a debris cloud from me fumbling within the tank yesterday, the results that came back baffled me. They were:

Ammonia: 0 or possibly 0.25; closer to 0 though...
NitrIte: 0, maybe 0.25; closer to 0 though...
NitrAte: 0

What's going on in this tank? Is the cycle progressing normally? Should a large water change be done at this point with these readings? The Moor looks fine, very active and swimming happily about the tank, eating heartily as well...

Its still in the early stages of cycling with traces of ammonia. If you have yet to do a decent water change on this tank since starting it, its time for a water change. Wcs still need to be performed weekly whether the tank is cycled or not. :)

Its still in the early stages of cycling with traces of ammonia. If you have yet to do a decent water change on this tank since starting it, its time for a water change. Wcs still need to be performed weekly whether the tank is cycled or not. :)

Hey J!

Good to hear from you again; hope all is well at home...

Well, a "decent" water change? Not sure about that one -- but I have done two "smallish" changes since starting it, taking out enough water both times so that both HOB filters wouldn't quit running or reach their intake stop-safe feature...in other words, around 10 or 15 percent, perhaps less...

With regard to the ammonia, you're saying "traces" are showing -- but I can swear that the color chart is coding more of a "straight yellow" than going into "slightly green," indicating to me the ammonia level is closer to 0...is this still normal?

I don't understand about the major water change factor, though -- if the fish is (seemingly) doing well and these levels are all near "0" (especially the ever-important ammonia reading), why would a major change (50% or so I'm assuming) be necessary right now? Won't that throw the necessary ammonia buildup (during the cycling process) out of whack? To me, it seems like doing a major water change would remove ammonia, but isn't that what we're trying to build up a bit in the biological filter? Even so, my ammonia is reading closer to 0 ppm -- what would a water change be helping in then, just getting trace water elements to the fish that are essential, etc?

Ok, I can not see your test results so you will have to use your judgement on what exactly you are seeing. For nitrites, theres a big difference between 0 and .25- you will need to determine which you are seeing. If theres any color except for the aqua blue color on the chart, you have nitrites (ie, darker blue, any degree of purple, etc). When your ammonia/nitrite levels hit .25ppm (or higher), then its time for a water change to reduce these numbers. You still need to do some degree of water change each week (say, 25%) just to remove dissolved solids & restore buffers & vital minerals & electrolytes, etc fish need to be healthy & to keep your tank stable. Nothing major right now with a single fish & low numbers. :)

You have just gotten this little more healthy again from a bad illness, so it needs the fresh water, with only the one fish in the 60 out is gonna take a lil bit to actually start the cycle good. But even with a zero reading it is a good idea to do at least a 25% water change weekly, a stated by some one else the fresh water keeps electrolytes up along with just plain cleanliness.

I had previously typed "hope all is well at home" and that it was "good to hear from you again," and apparently that didn't elicit any kind of response in kind from you...

Hmmm; curious.

Ok, I can not see your test results so you will have to use your judgement on what exactly you are seeing.

I understand; I am going to have to snap a pic the next time I take readings so you (and everyone else) can see the actual colors -- I am trying to convey what I find the best I can...for the most part, this land round was accurate: Ammonia seemed closer to 0, as did nitrate and nitrite...

For nitrites, theres a big difference between 0 and .25- you will need to determine which you are seeing. If theres any color except for the aqua blue color on the chart, you have nitrites (ie, darker blue, any degree of purple, etc).

It's so difficult to make out sometimes, depending on what color develops after the five minutes -- this last time, it seemed like the aqua blue was there, with PERHAPS a slight hint of a darker blue, but no purple...

When your ammonia/nitrite levels hit .25ppm (or higher), then its time for a water change to reduce these numbers.

The ammonia test indicated yellow -- but it COULD have been "bordering" on a SLIGHT tinge of orange, which dips into the "0.25" range...

You still need to do some degree of water change each week (say, 25%) just to remove dissolved solids & restore buffers & vital minerals & electrolytes, etc fish need to be healthy & to keep your tank stable. Nothing major right now with a single fish & low numbers. :)

Okay; thanks -- so, if I did a small change yesterday (Friday), can I wait until next Friday to do another 25%?

As always, thank you for your ongoing assistance, J...:) :flowers:

You have just gotten this little more healthy again from a bad illness, so it needs the fresh water, with only the one fish in the 60 out is gonna take a lil bit to actually start the cycle good. But even with a zero reading it is a good idea to do at least a 25% water change weekly, a stated by some one else the fresh water keeps electrolytes up along with just plain cleanliness.

Hello, Nimo, and thank you!

Actually, to be honest and accurate, we're not 100% sure she was even infected with the illness that ravaged the tank -- she did "shake off" some disgusting debris and muck when we scooped her out of the 60 gallon and put her in fresh water in that two gallon holding tank, indicating her scales were coated in the disgusting water from the 60, but we're not sure if she was actually infected with the bacterial breakout...

That said, I see where you're coming from -- I shall heed your and J's advice regarding the weekly changes. So, if I did a small change yesterday (Friday), can I wait until next Friday to do another 25%?

If it wasn't as much as a 25% I would go ahead and do a 25% change now, and if you are trying to schedule your weekly changes for friday go a head and do one again friday. Depending on what your cycle does that is.

The fresher you keep the water the better, and I don't think there is a such thing as excessive water changes

If it wasn't as much as a 25% I would go ahead and do a 25% change now, and if you are trying to schedule your weekly changes for friday go a head and do one again friday. Depending on what your cycle does that is.

Alright; I'll do one tomorrow at 25% then, because I'm a bit wiped tonight...

Is it okay to shut off the filters during this process, even though the tank is cycling?

The fresher you keep the water the better, and I don't think there is a such thing as excessive water changes

Even during cycling?

Yes it is ok to shut down filters long enough to do water changes.
And especially during cycling a tank when your ammonia and nitrites kick in, there is really no such thing as excessive. The cycle is very stressful for the fish and the fresh water for them is kinda like us getting a nice glass of ice water on a hot day. It just feels good.

Yes it is ok to shut down filters long enough to do water changes.

...but even in the midst of a fresh cycling process? That's where I'm concerned...

And especially during cycling a tank when your ammonia and nitrites kick in, there is really no such thing as excessive. The cycle is very stressful for the fish and the fresh water for them is kinda like us getting a nice glass of ice water on a hot day. It just feels good.

I understand regarding how they feel after the changes; but even if my levels haven't risen yet beyond 0, it's good to do the weekly changes, yes?

Yeah it should be fine just keep your filter media wet

"Should" be...or is? :hide:

I am uncertain if I can keep my media wet -- on the Aqueon filter, it has a self-priming pump so I don't know if the cartridges actually dry up a bit or if water is drained out of the media box...with the AquaClear 110, the water drops out and the BioMax rings normally get exposed to the air...:hide: :hide:

My fish love their water changes they play in the bubbles and current as the water is poured in.

Mine seem to have the opposite reaction; they seem to get freaked by it...perhaps it's a goldfish thing?

Yeah IMO the more water changes you do the better! I do about 40% every other day and my tank has 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

Well when I do a big water change I just throw my Bio wheel into my tank to keep it moist.

Stopping your filters just long enough to do a water change won't hurt the bacteria. 99% of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter, the substrate and on your decorations, there is actually very little in the water its self, so doing the water changes will not take away from the cycle it just keeps the fish safe and happy.
And yes even if your readings are all zero you should still do weekly water changes.

I am un familiar with the specific filters you have I run mostly biowheels. But I have never had a problem even during cycling shutting down filters long enough for a water change.
If you are concerned about them dying out you could either drop them in the tank or in a bucket with used fish water to keep them wet

Okay...Thanks Fellas...

While I don't see myself doing daily 40% water changes given the heavy filtration I have going on, I will look into stepping up my changes during this cycling period...

Okay -- so with my numbers I posted (which seems to be pretty much everything at "0"), should I attempt a 25% or so change tomorrow and then wait the week? What's the procedure here?

Back
Top Bottom