Anubias barteri has holes in leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joebeck2012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anubias barteri has holes in leaves what is causing this? water temp = 77 f, ph = 6.8, ppm = 175. Shrimp are happy fish are happy. CO2 injected, canister filter fluval 407 upgraded inside. I add fertz 1 time every 2 weeks. Any idea what im doing wrong?

Attachments

• 20230709_113655.jpg
    20230709_113655.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 20
What fertiliser are you dosing? What is the 175ppm referring to? Do you know your nitrate? What light are you running? Why are you running CO2 but dosing fertiser infrequently?

I am using Aquarium co op easy green. PPM is parts per million of total particles in the water, i use RO water then remineralize it to 175 ppm. Nitrate is 0 ppm. I use 2 nicrew led lights as seen in photo attatched. I think your right even the instructions on the bottle said does 2 times a week for medium light tanks. I think i stopped dosing so often because i ran into hair algea problem and forgot obout how often to dose fertz. Will start doing 2 times a week now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710_110546_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230710_110546_Chrome.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230710_111336.jpg
    20230710_111336.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 19
There is a definate nutrient deficiency. Nitrate should be 10 to 20ppm for plant health. To be at zero (i would say your test looks more like 5ppm) you either have very low bioload or the other plants are consuming all the nutrients, or some of both. If your fish arent producing enough nitrate for your plants health you should look at dosing a fertiliser that contains an appreciable amount of nitrogen. Most dont contain any.

Luckily for you easy green is one of the few that does contain nitrogen. But you arent dosing enough if your nitrate is still showing as zero. From recollection the recommended dosage of easy green should increase nitrate by 6ppm. I would increase the dosing to the recommended twice weekly, and see where the nitrate gets up to. If you still are showing very low nitrate then you may need to up the dosage even more. Remember that anubias are very slow growing, so it could take several months to see any improvement in the plant.

You might want to look at the estimative index method for dosing nutrients. This basically involves dosing high levels of nutrients throughout the week and then a big weekly water change to bring the nutrients back down before starting your weekly dosing schedule again.

I agree and have been reading all morning about nitrate and potassium deffieciency cuz it looks like i have both will dose 2 times a week along with a water change weekly and i also bought a digital nitrate checkecker to maintain a nitrate lvl of 20 ppm. Thanks for your help I will post again in a month or 2 to give an update.

Back
Top Bottom