Anyone else have problems with nitrite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do I measure tannins in the water? What is it exactly?? And Is it harmful for other fish in the water?

Tannins are the class of chemicals that dye water brown. Essentially it makes your water look like tea, which some people understandably don't like. It's not harmful fish, and some claim it's beneficial to fish health.

You can 'measure' them by looking at your tank and judging how dark it is. More tannins = darker water.

Thank you for that lesson! Both of you :)

I went ahead and purchased a 20 gal tank and even found a petsmart not to far from my house that carry rams! German blues to be exact so that's exciting. They did not have any driftwood though so I got a decorative tree that I will tie some moss to.

I got two packs of bulbs as well, for now with low light since I will be having to use a fixture and not a hood atm. Would a mesh lid be fine to cut out for the filter heater ect? I had enough to purchase a 30 gal filter does 150 gal per hour. I will upgrade to another one if need be. But for now. :) I'll update with pictures soon!

How do I measure tannins in the water? What is it exactly?? And Is it harmful for other fish in the water?

You don't measure tannins. The darker they stain your water the more tannins are in the water. Tannins help to soften water and if enough is present can lower PH. They are actually good for fish and the tannins have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.

I will have to go on a search for some! I found someone close by my office who is selling java moss sprites and other plants I'm going to stop by and pick some up. Everything looks lush and healthy so I can't wait to add them to the new tank! Updates with pictures once they're planted!

Anytime you get new plants soak them in a container with 1 part hydrogen peroxide 3% to 3 parts water for 20 minutes. This will kill algae, snails, eggs, and other unwanted hitch hikers from entering into your tank.

Good thing I caught that before tomorrow. Thank you! I'm going to guess I've gotten lucky so far with store bought plants, I will do this from now on though!

You don't measure tannins. The darker they stain your water the more tannins are in the water. Tannins help to soften water and if enough is present can lower PH. They are actually good for fish and the tannins have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.

One week ago I suggested this in an offline conversation in a bid to help this lady with all of her tank concerns, I chose to go offline with you Janice as I didn't wish to offend anyone, I ran it by aqua-Chem who could only summise that to low a temperature was a bad thing, my suggestion wasn't to go below that required for the fish, you said pH control was out of the hands of a beginner?

Ammonia Toxicity and pH Changes

The effect of pH variation, within the range 6.5, 7.0, 7.5, 8.5 and 9, on activated sludge denitrification of a synthetic wastewater containing 2700 mg/l NO3-N was examined using bench-scale Sequencing Batch Reactors. Two major effects were observed. One, at pH values of 6.5 and 7.0, denitrification of a synthetic wastewater containing high nitrate levels was significantly inhibited. Two, denitrification was achieved at higher pH values of 7.5, 8.5 and 9.0, but the accumulation of nitrite increased significantly as mixed liquor pH increased with peak values of 250, 500 and 900 mg/l NO2-N, respectively. As the pH rose, the specific rate of nitrate reduction increased. At the same time the specific rate of nitrite reduction increased in the absence of nitrate. In the presence of nitrate the specific rate of nitrite reduction remained constant, and the degree to which nitrite reduction increased in the absence of nitrate was a function of increasing pH. While increasing pH from 7.5 to 9.0 affected nitrite intermediate accumulation, the overall time for complete denitrification (reduction of both NO−3 and NO−2) was similar for the pH values of 7.5, 8.5 and 9.

You must understand the paper in the link above,
So by reducing T' it is possible to control free ammonia NH-3, nitrite accumulates significantly with increased pH. High pH reduces nitrite providing nitrate is 0. A mild pH reduction while I agree with your point, perhaps not for beginners, it is perfectly possible to achieve the goal without too much concern for the fish. The water change will reduce both NO-2 and NO-3 while keeping ammonia in its free form at a much safer level. 7.5 pH should be the eventual goal at a reduced T' with regular small water changes to control nitrite and nitrate until such time that the system becomes cycled.

What has changed so significantly in 7 days that couldn't be addressed then?
I still mean to cause no offence but I can't help feeling this could have been resolved much earlier?

I'm super confused...Idk if this will help but we were talking about my new 20 gal tank and adding drift wood to lower ph so I can own rams. My ph is a steady 7.5-8. They like a more neutral ph.
I'm not sure what your post was about :/

I apologise to you jjb.

On your previous post I made a great deal of research and entered into long offline conversations with both river cats and aqua_chem, I was seeking to find the best possible result for you to maintain a healthy tank regarding your nitrogenous levels and so alleviate all concern you were having there, part of that discussion involved your reducing pH in a tank, I was advised that perhaps a beginner fish keeper should not be advised a method, only to discover such methods being advised! My previous message is perhaps a week old.

I've been following along and noticed your water concerns still apparent, this morning before work I caught the end of the conversation. I must admit a hastily posted message.
Forgive me for speaking behind your back but my goal was to get the best for your fish. I have spent a lot of time trying to resolve all of your issues both online and away from this machine.

I don't wish to offend or upset you or anybody else for that matter.

No offense taken! I do plan to move the platys into the 20 gal once it's done cycling and deff going to add some drift wood. Hopefully the drift wood does help! My nitrite levels are slowly creeping down as well in the 10 gal. I'm going to do some tests and a wc in just a moment. They were at a 1.0-2.0 last night so hopefully it didn't rise too much while I was at work!
I am still getting the hang of things and I appreciate all your help and everyone else's! Hopefully the lower ph in the 20 gal will keep nitrites down and hopefully by that time I won't be dealing with nitrites in my 10 gal so I can restock it with some rummynose tetras :)

I looked on the page you sent river and the light are a bit pricey atm I if I were to get a hood with lights what is the best bulb I could get as far as wattage for my plants? I only have bulbs in the 20 gal atm. And are root tablets okay to use once I do get live plants in the tank?

I promised you they would.

Without river cats intervention and aqua chems confirmation I would still be struggling to help you. If I didn't say that, it would simply be wrong of me.

I'm happy they are getting better, it must be a weight off of your mind.
You have some good plans for the future, good luck with those.

River cats, if you read this, you're still the plant queen! X.

It's still a struggle I won't lie. I'm a photographer during the day having to bend and carry heavy equipment all day does a toll on my back :/ by the time I get home I'm exhausted but know I have water to attend to. I wish I had enough money to buy everything I want haha but little at a time. Once I can get that dang hose I won't have to deal with dang buckets anymore which doesn't help! I enjoy what I do regardless.

I looked on the page you sent river and the light are a bit pricey atm I if I were to get a hood with lights what is the best bulb I could get as far as wattage for my plants? I only have bulbs in the 20 gal atm. And are root tablets okay to use once I do get live plants in the tank?

Told you they were pricey... lol! There are other LED's that would work that are probably 1/2 the cost. Look up T5HO fixtures, 2 bulbs. I "think" Odessa makes so low cost fixtures. Bud29 I think would be the person to ask as he posts about them a lot. Just look for bulbs in the 6000K-6700K range.

You will need root tabs for any swords, crypts, bulb plants, or wisteria you get. Most other plant will need fert's that go into the water.

There is no mention of lights on the page for river cats?
Best bulbs are LED, low wattage low heat emission long life. You pay more initially but they last longer so you only pay once.

I only run fluorescent tubes, I'm not really a plant pro I just have them for the fish, the growth of plants is quite complex, really that isn't my department!
My best planted tank had 4x36w tubes, flora-pro substrate and tropica N-P dosing. Everything went crazy as far as growth. I'm not sure what caused it.
The substrate definitely makes a difference on root growth.

Tube wattage is normally governed by length, tank length will tell you what will fit.

See my previous message, RC is the queen of planted tanks.

That looks like a marine lid, light spectrum is different for coral. See RC post for spectrum suitable for plants, available in led, don't be fooled by low wattage of these systems, the are seriously bright, colour temp is key.
3-5w led is as bright or brighter than 50w halogen.

It's still a struggle I won't lie. I'm a photographer during the day having to bend and carry heavy equipment all day does a toll on my back :/ by the time I get home I'm exhausted but know I have water to attend to. I wish I had enough money to buy everything I want haha but little at a time. Once I can get that dang hose I won't have to deal with dang buckets anymore which doesn't help! I enjoy what I do regardless.

This is OFF topic!
I can't help noticing the word photographer. Cool job I just picked up my first DSLR last October. Do you have an online collection? It is another serious hobby of mine.

Back
Top Bottom