Anyone had a bad batch of salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always used Reef Crystals by Instant Ocean and never had a bad batch that was recognizable by my parameters. I have had small white clumps in the bottom of my container that I mix and they seemed harmless.

I had an issue with some cloudy water that just cleared up because I haven't been doing any water changes for a couple weeks because of the issue...

I just got a new bucket in this week and it seems to be ok. Just did a water change with it.

Whelp. Something nuked my tank… I lost my bubble tip anemone, my larger mocha clown fish, I can't find my royal grandma or my tiger goby and all of my corals are closed… Mixing up some water right now to do a large change, I will run some activated carbon, and hope I can save what's remaining in the tank... 8-(

I just got a new bucket in this week and it seems to be ok. Just did a water change with it.

The first couple of changes with the RSCP went fine. I think it's a cumulative effect over time. Also, my (and Flaxon's, I think) bucket had no batch number listed, which makes quality control all but impossible.

I'm just waiting for my IORC bucket to heat up, and then it's time to start the change.

What's the best way to get the gunk off the sandbed without disturbing it too much?

Whelp. Something nuked my tank… I lost my bubble tip anemone, my larger mocha clown fish, I can't find my royal grandma or my tiger goby and all of my corals are closed… Mixing up some water right now to do a large change, I will run some activated carbon, and hope I can save what's remaining in the tank... 8-(

Frack, that sucks, dude, sorry to hear about it :(

My wife called me on my way home from work and said hey have you seen the second clown fish, and that the anemone is on the sand bed… Really not having a very good afternoon.

Did you say you had an algae outbreak? I wonder if the little buggers were deoxygenating the water enough that it wound up killing your livestock.

I dunno man. This sounds crazy, but I put a new HOB filter sponge in my AC70 last night and the skimmer started going bonkers. I didn't really think much about it, but maybe that had something to do with it...?

Or the BTA just died due to something and took the rest of the tank with it...

I doubt that one death would have that rapid an effect on the rest of the tank. Might be that filter sponge.

I used IO for the first 15 years, then RC for the last 10 (when my coral loading got extreme) without issues. Maybe I was just lucky, or too stupid to know I had a salt related problem.

As to test kits, I agree with X that the usual kits we buy are pretty low accuracy. Not that you need a gas chromatograph, but there is some significant variability.

Agreed on the test kits.

What I find odd about RedSea is that they market a product specifically to lower PO4 concentrations. I don't know of anyone else who markets an additive specifically for this purpose (GFO and Phosguard aren't additives, and aren't made by a major manufacturer of salt)...I gotta wonder. Time to put on my tin foil hat? :)

The Red Sea product precipitates phosphates out so mechanical filtration can grab it. The other products mentioned bind chemically with phosphates for later removal when you change the media. If you had an emergency situation that caused a big spike in phosphate, the Red Sea product acts faster.

red sea coral pro

I switched over to red sea a couple weeks ago. and the stuff keeps my params balanced, and first time ever having a ph of 8.2 to 8.4 and lower phosphate level. i also started doing rodi water finally after a year of using tap water and prime. My bucket of red sea coral pro doesnt have a batch number either. I could never get my ph above 7 either with io reef crystals.

I think using RODI had more of an impact than the salt mix... tap is loaded with nitrates and phosphates.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom