Anyone had a bad batch of salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW, I did a nearly 75% change today on my tank. Hopefully between that, phosguard, and no lights (except for ambient room light) for 3 days, the algae will disappear.

FWIW, I did a nearly 75% change today on my tank. Hopefully between that, phosguard, and no lights (except for ambient room light) for 3 days, the algae will disappear.

I did a 40% change yesterday and have another 40% mixing now. Stopped by my LFS who was very sympathetic of the nuked tank 8-/ My hammer is coming back a bit and my duncan is almost fully open. I'm bummed my BTA died, and even more bummed about my larger mocha clown who hosted it... My remaining fish are SEEMINGLY happier, although I'm sure they're still pissed at me lol. I also stuffed some polyfil and a poly filter in my HOB. I'm just glad I have a HOB to run this stuff. I packed it in this order from bottom up: polyfil, polyfilter, purigen, carbon. I don't think I've ever ran this much chemical and mechanical at once...

After reading what you're going through, and trying to tackle the uglies in my tank, the next person who says "they're just fish" is gonna get smacked on the back of their head.

I have purigen and phosguard in my HOB right now. I might add some Matrix Carbon if I have to (that stuff is amazing, but I wonder how it does against BRS ROX), but I'm not going there right now.

Decided to run a 25% change, and am keeping a 10% for tomorrow. Thankfully, my skimmer has calmed down, so I'm hopefully most of the toxins or whatever is in my tank has exited. I'm so baffled by this debacle...

Came home to a nice surprise. All my zoas and palys are partially open. They've been sealed shut for 3 weeks now... Progress :cool: I did another 10% change tonight and intend to do 10% every night this week... My duncan looks almost 100%, but my hammer looks only slightly better. Sadly my cyphastrea has almost bleached out entirely...

I've had a bad batch... a friend gave me a no brand named 20kg salt in a cardboard box... it was sealed.... my friend got rid of his tank about 3 years ago btw.

Mixed it up and checked the parameters and it had a bout 0.5 ammonia in it lol

Wow, that is scary. I am using a no name brand mixed with some reef crystals :D. I think I should stop using it. :p

lol yea I did 1 25% WC with the bad batch.... checked out the parameters and had around 0.25 ammonia in the DP.... I was trying to work it out.... looking for dead fish... looking for a pile of fish poop..... looking for uneaten food. it was driving me crazy... even worse I did 2 more 25% WC to think that would fix the problem in the DP... and of course it go worse lol.... then I tested the salt mix and found the solution to the problem.... the worse 2 weeks of my life

Came home to a nice surprise. All my zoas and palys are partially open. They've been sealed shut for 3 weeks now... Progress :cool: I did another 10% change tonight and intend to do 10% every night this week... My duncan looks almost 100%, but my hammer looks only slightly better. Sadly my cyphastrea has almost bleached out entirely...

Baby steps. Glad to hear things are getting back on track :)

Things are more open... Bueno! Citron goby died... No bueno! Preparing for a 25% change tomorrow.

Things are starting to look a bit better.. I did a 25% PWC last night and it's crystal clear again. It seems to be a very slow process to get my softies to open up again, but I suppose that's expected. My hammer is literally opening 1 polyp at a time. Slow slow slow. I'm going to do a 50% PWC this weekend. Sadly my cyphastria is entirely bleached. I imagine it's a goner...

Sorry about your coral :( I hope the rest of your tank does good. :)

What kind of carbon? Seachem's Matrix Carbon gave me results in days when I was doing my cycle and was loading the system to the max, and it kept working for a couple of weeks.

I'd run it for at least a week. Unfortunately, you can't tell if it's run it's life until things start shifting again...

Still trying to figure out if it was salt, or something else. But not getting anywhere with it. Just going to cut it up to it was what it was, and move forward to fix it. I did another 40% change today, and also sucked up all the buildup on my sand bed which appears to not be hair algae as originally thought, but cyano. I blew off my rocks and well. Tank looks pristine. I switched the carbon, as well as added a media bag of GFO. I also was looking at my hammer coral, and it seemed to be bleaching out, but coming back to life a bit. I also realized that the heads that were shaded by other heads were a lot lore vibrant in terms of color, and not bleaching out. I took this as a sign that my lights are too strong, and notched them down about 10%. Sheesh I hope all this helps...

Back
Top Bottom