Api readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jus10dubois

Aquarium Advice Regular
1491261848524.jpg ok so I did the stability to cycle my tank as directed by my local fish store was a week as recommended by them brought my water in to get tested they told me I can put fish in so I did but it's been like 3 weeks now with my oscars in the tank and I'm getting ammonia readings and nitrite have been the whole time just not that bad with the nitrite I did a 25%water change last night come home from work and it's worse as u can see! Is my tank still cycling? If so I feel like a ******* sorry for my language for my fish being in the tank ugh! So what would u recommend me to do?

Yes, your tank is still cycling. Without adding filter media from an established tank it takes ~5-6 weeks to cycle, give or take. For the safety of your fish I would do 50% water changes every other day or even every day. Here is an article on fish-in cycling you can read http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176446
This article suggests twice weekly 50% water changes but they also suggest you stock lightly at first and use established tank media so in your situation you should probably change more often. Don't feel bad! Many people start out not even knowing anything about the nitrogen cycle, so the fact that you do is a plus! Unfortunately store employees are often not reliable sources of information, which really is too bad, and most of us had to learn that the hard way.

Edit: you will be done cycling when ammonia and nitrItes are zero. Live plants can help some with a cycle, you could try some easy floating ones like anacharis or hornwort. I don't know how they'll fare with Oscars but at least they are floating so cannot be uprooted.

Yes, your tank is still cycling.
Dose with prime if you have it, or another ammonia/nitrite detoxify, and kept up with water changes.

Bacteria supplements only speed up a cycle, they don't instantly cycle a tank.

Thanks for the info u guys I will be doing 50 percent wc every other day and get some prime and plants really appreciate the quick responses!

Are my fish at risk of dying! Also will this cause them to get ick I see little white spots on there fines well 2 of the 3...

Are my fish at risk of dying! Also will this cause them to get ick I see little white spots on there fines well 2 of the 3...

They already have ick if you see white spots. I suggest seachem Paraguard or Kordon rid ich I had really good success with. If one has it then it's in the water and eventually all will get it if not treated.

Also I suggest an air stone if treating ick with a product because it will lower the oxygen levels. I also suggest raising the temp up a little as it will speed up the ick cycle. When treating ick the white spots on the fish are actually immune to treatment until they fall off the fish. By raising the temp you will speed up this cycle.

It's not on there body's just on front fins so must be the beginning ugh...

I highly recommend Kordon Rid Ich. That helped save my entire 60 gallon tank full of fish when I accidentally brought home a couple clown loaches that had it. I treated in time and lost zero fish. Follow directions on bottle except raising the temp up a little will help speed up killing ich. Just make sure to add an air stone as you will deplete oxygen from raising temp and the treatment. All will be fine. All 30 of my fish were fine when I raised the temp to 84 and treated daily for 2 weeks till it was done.

Nitrites are worse then ammonia and far more deadly.
You need salt in your water to aide the fish from nitrite poisoning and if your fish have ich it may help with that to?
https://www.thespruce.com/nitrite-poisoning-1378485
Good luck, get a test kit and change as much water as it takes to keep the water in safe range[ 1ppm ammonia or nitrite demands a 50% water change to reduce to .5 if not more water removed to get even lower]...You will be doing more then 50%every other day it sounds like ,but it is nice to dream...

Telling you for treating ich this is a life saver I swear to it. Like I said it saved my entire tank IMG_4034.jpg

20170328_220205.jpg20170328_220247.jpg20170328_221334.jpghere's some pics of the o's incase u were interested besides that I do have a air stone is that adequate u think?

Sweet thanks man! I will see if my lfs has it

If they do not have Kordon then go for seachem paraguard. To be honest a lot of the other stuff like tabs and such are junk. Those two I listed in my mind from experience are the best.

Even at 130g. Three Oscars are too much imo. Big fish big waste and messy eaters. Sump is a nice benefit. But I think over the next ten years youll be working hard at maintaining params.

I had an oscar in a 90g for a long time and often wished I had a little more tank. Beautiful fish you have.

Even at 130g. Three Oscars are too much imo. Big fish big waste and messy eaters. Sump is a nice benefit. But I think over the next ten years youll be working hard at maintaining params.

I had an oscar in a 90g for a long time and often wished I had a little more tank. Beautiful fish I have.
Thank you for ur advise I now when they get bigger I'll be doing 2 water changes a week I'm ok with that I I just hope I can get trough this cycle with no problems

I had an oscar in a 90g for a long time and often wished I had a little more tank. Beautiful fish you have.

Back
Top Bottom