Api readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would do 25-30% daily or every other day, water treated with prime and also add live bacteria like api stress zyme +, many manufacturers make live bacteria which will help to cycle the tank faster but it's not instant, you can get pre seeded filter media off the Internet which will also help, with the live bacteria I would double dose my first treatment and then just add it once weekly at the recommended dose, so the first week you would add double the following week you would add the recommended, Make sure you treat the water you're replacing with prime if you can get it, do you do your water change it with a bucket or do you use a python?

I was always told that you neutralize the harsh ammonia and nitrite with prime and you hold off on water change until it's completely cycled or the cycle will start over and will take twice as long for the cycle. You neutralize the ammonia and nitrite with prime and when they drop back to zero and your nitrate starts going up and reaches 4 that's when you start your water changes.

hold off on water change until it's completely cycled or the cycle will start over and will take twice as long for the cycle.

In my experience the majority of the beneficial bacteria live in the filter media and the substrate so water changes should affect the tank's ability to cycle very little.

So when I do water changes as often as I have to at this point do i have keep adding prime and salt and ick after every water change? One would think that I'm taking out the treatment every water change....

If you are treating for ich yes you will have to replace the medicine that is removed. So if you remove half the water you will have to replace half of the medicine. If you are using aquarium salt to help with ich you will have to replace half of that too. Clean water generally helps healing also, as will reducing ammonia. You should be using a water conditioner like Prime every time you add new water, and to detoxify ammonia nitrite and nitrate temporarily you can dose Prime up to 5 times the amount it would usually take to treat the whole tank. You can do this every 24 hours even if you do not do a water change.

If you are treating for ich yes you will have to replace the medicine that is removed. So if you remove half the water you will have to replace half of the medicine. If you are using aquarium salt to help with ich you will have to replace half of that too. Clean water generally helps healing also, as will reducing ammonia. You should be using a water conditioner like Prime every time you add new water, and to detoxify ammonia nitrite and nitrate temporarily you can dose Prime up to 5 times the amount it would usually take to treat the whole tank. You can do this every 24 hours even if you do not do a water change.
Ok great thanks for the info

Lol, that's what I meant, the treatment. Usually when you add the salt the first time you wouldn't have to add it again unless you redo your tank.

1491610507469.jpg cannot get my nitrites to lower am I at a different stages of the cycle?

Your Nitrite is too high. Not enough BB yet. Have you added seachem stability or the like yet?
Yes I've been using it again for like 3 days now doing 25 percent wc every other day this will be my second bottle of stability but I stopped after the first one probably 2 weeks apart. thinking it was cycled...

Just got this for water changes but just this part can i use regular garden hose I know I can hook it up to it but can that rubber harm my fish?1491611324939.jpg

1492734282987.jpg It's still high nitrites it been almost 3 more weeks and another bottle of prime ugh do u guys think it's almost done cycling yet?

Back
Top Bottom