Api test kit help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OH BOY... gonna be a LONG night!!

29g:

Ph- 8.2
Am- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 160 ppm

20g:

Ph- 7.6
Am- 0 or .25 ppm The light was unsure.. Possible 0
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 160 ppm

10g:

Ph- 8.2
Am- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 160 ppm

ocminpin said:
How long after PWC should I retest?

Half an hour to an hour to allow the new water time to circulate IMO. I don't think there's any need to test after each PWC. If its reading say 80ppm and your doing a 50% PWC you can assume its about 40ppm.

Mumma.of.two said:
Half an hour to an hour to allow the new water time to circulate IMO. I don't think there's any need to test after each PWC. If its reading say 80ppm and your doing a 50% PWC you can assume its about 40ppm.

Okay.... So I did a 50% on my 10g fry tank and that would make me assume it is approx 80 ppm now, right?

I was ever so quiet in doing the PWC... it's hard cause it's 1am.. 2 people are sleeping.. Was soooo hard without splashing water buckets and tub water running.
Would it be horrible to wait till morning to do the 20g & 29g? I hate to wait... It's like giving a disgustingly dirty dog a bath... I feel sooo good when I plug that filter in after a WC. I know they feel better afterwards..
What do you think? :-/

ocminpin said:
Okay.... So I did a 50% on my 10g fry tank and that would make me assume it is approx 80 ppm now, right?

I was ever so quiet in doing the PWC... it's hard cause it's 1am.. 2 people are sleeping.. Was soooo hard without splashing water buckets and tub water running.
Would it be horrible to wait till morning to do the 20g & 29g? I hate to wait... It's like giving a disgustingly dirty dog a bath... I feel sooo good when I plug that filter in after a WC. I know they feel better afterwards..
What do you think? :-/

They will be ok till morning IMO. Only a few more hours wont be too bad :).

ocminpin said:
Out of the tap at 20 ppm

Ok that would explain why they are so high! They won't come down by halves if your removing half then adding tap water at 20ppm. You are going to have to do large frequent PWC (50% twice a week maybe) to help keep them under control. You'll never get it under 20ppm unless the tank is very heavily planted.

Mumma.of.two said:
They will be ok till morning IMO. Only a few more hours wont be too bad :).

Ok that would explain why they are so high! They won't come down by halves if your removing half then adding tap water at 20ppm. You are going to have to do large frequent PWC (50% twice a week maybe) to help keep them under control. You'll never get it under 20ppm unless the tank is very heavily planted.

So my tap water sucks! :)
The taste of it is nasty which is why it was a horrible thought my little ones are swimming in it...
I'm testing that tank now just out of curiosity to see what it reads..

It's still reading the same., probably because it's still higher than 80...
They're used to 80% PWC weekly... Can I do several 80% PWC daily and see what happens with numbers? I'm thinking since they are used to large water changes it won't shock them...?

ocminpin said:
It's still reading the same., probably because it's still higher than 80...
They're used to 80% PWC weekly... Can I do several 80% PWC daily and see what happens with numbers? I'm thinking since they are used to large water changes it won't shock them...?

Sounds ok to me :)

ocminpin said:
I'm looking at top fins and the only one at partial mass is the new one... Rest are perky and alert, eager to "talk" to me... :)

That's a good sign. Just keep up the PWC over the next few days and see where it gets the readings. :) (y)

Can I do a back water change to bring levels down faster? Do I wait an Hr between or as soon as I'm finished start it again?

Mumma.of.two said:
You can as long a you temp match your water and watch for signs of stress in your fish.

Okay this is on my 20g... The Juvie's are more interested in playing with the water as I pour in than being scared.. They are the same ones that chase the waste up the siphon hose when I gravel vacc :) I'm thinking MOVE out of my way so you don't get sucked up.,, they flock to me and nibble my fingers and chase waste lol

Back
Top Bottom