Apistograma huascar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhh they grow up fast don't they...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice looking fish.
Thank you, Sherlar

Ahhh they grow up fast don't they...

Sigh, just 8 months ago I broke their flake food into smaller pieces, now they're eating steak on the bone(Alternative facts).

These 2 will appear to be in courtship often. Other times the male is chasing her incessantly. As far as I know, there hasn't been an actual spawning, though. Which is making me wonder if she is in fact a she, and not an immature, submissive male?
I'll work on good quality pictures. I have a 3rd female huascar in another tank, so I'm considering adding her in with these 2 to diminish the dominant males aggressive outbursts. Of course, maybe I'd just be fueling the fire by adding her.
Thoughts?

"it is a close relative to 'sunset' (A. atahualpa) while i would say it is much more beautiful as it has a yellow-orange cheek, sky-blue belly and double orange-tipped caudal fin. It was also known as Sunrise (US name), Sunpin (Euro and HK's name when it was first imported).

The fish was first introduced to Hong Kong in late 2003, at that time, even Mike Wise knew nothing of it (we hobbyists in Hong Kong posted in the Forum.apistogramma.com at that time and nobody had heard of it).

Romer proposed to name it as A. huascar, a name of a royal family member in the ancient inka to show its close relationship with A. atahualpa (<-- a king in inka)."
~blueberry

Here's a pic of a mature male. Hopefully mine develops similar features.
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums... Uploads/2007-03/huascar1_191_zpssfzapyed.jpg

Back
Top Bottom