Aquaclear power filter for a cycled 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xstream

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my Tetra whisper EX20 went out today when I did my water change. I plugged it in and it didn't start. It has it cut out a couple of times after unplugging before...

So tomorrow I am thinking about stopping by the box store and picking up an Aquaclear Fluval, but I am I unsure which to get. I prefer the extra filtration of the 30, but I have a 10 gallon tank with Platys and Otos. I know the Otos will like the current, but would the Platys be ok with the 30? Or should I just order a 20 (my local stores do not have the 20 in stock)?

Thanks again for all of your help.

You'll get about 50% more turnover from the AC30 than the AC20. I have an AC20 on my 10 gallon and it does produce quite a lot of current one one side of the tank. The guppies seem to enjoy it but it also looks hard for them to handle due to the longer fins. I usually keep it running at about half. You'd probably be okay with the AC30 as you can adjust it down.

Awesome! I would much rather have the extra filtration and my Marineland hood has a large enough cut out to fit the AC30. I wasn't sure how far you could restrict the flow.

Thanks.

So I have been running the AC30 for a few days. I am surprised how high it sits on the back of my tank. This actually makes it quite loud, and I had to add water to my tank.

The intake is so much smaller than my Whisper EX was and it looks like I have a larger tank (the motor for the Whisper is located in the tank).

For filter media I have the sponge on the bottom, my old Whisper filter folded over, and the biomax on the top. How long should I leave the Whisper filter in? And I was surprised there wasn't any more of the ceramic pieces for the biomax. I might add some more.

Do any of you all include he floss for water polishing?

So I have been running the AC30 for a few days. I am surprised how high it sits on the back of my tank. This actually makes it quite loud, and I had to add water to my tank.

The intake is so much smaller than my Whisper EX was and it looks like I have a larger tank (the motor for the Whisper is located in the tank).

For filter media I have the sponge on the bottom, my old Whisper filter folded over, and the biomax on the top. How long should I leave the Whisper filter in? And I was surprised there wasn't any more of the ceramic pieces for the biomax. I might add some more.

Do any of you all include he floss for water polishing?

Id say use 2-3 bags of the AC bio material. Also, be sure when rinsing any material(sponges, bio pellets) to use your aquarium water, not tap water. Also, any filter floss throw out, dont re use it.

Thanks!

I currently have my old Whisper filter taking up a lot of space, how long do you think I will need to leave it in there to colonize the other filter media?

Also, I am very cloudy today after my water change last night... First time I have ever been cloudy. Would the floss help with that?

Also, I am very cloudy today after my water change last night... First time I have ever been cloudy. Would the floss help with that?
floss helps by taking particles out of the water column, really your probably experiencing a bacterial bloom or algae bloom (pics would help). I would just put the whispers media into the AC if you could and then just kinda wait a bit and take it out later on, id say 1-2 weeks but im not sure how long it takes BB to spread

Thanks Matty, I have the Whisper filter in there now. I found someone suggest 2 weeks in a different thread.

It has cleared significantly as of last night. I bought a 4.4 ounce bag of biomax last night. When I remove the Whisper pad I will add the extra media. I am hoping to buy a larger tank after we move, and I wanted to create some seed for that tank.

Thanks for the reply and help.

Oh, and I have been testing every day since the change just to be sure. No increase in ammonia or nitrite. However my nitrate did did rise some so I did my water change a couple of days early.

Back
Top Bottom