Aquaclear tips and tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikan1089

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got my aquaclear filter and want to here your guys tip and tricks.

mikan1089 said:
Just got my aquaclear filter and want to here your guys tip and tricks.

What kind of tips and tricks? I don't think there are any....

Tips, keep it clean and you now have the joy of being able to add and remove different kinds of media.

Tricks? Hmmmm.... If you fill the filter with water, water comes out and flows into the tank. Pretty cool no?

Sorry it's late and that was corny :)

Just was wondering if there are anyways to make it run better and if anyone has made any mods for this filter. Whatever help or advice anyone can give. Mahalo

mikan1089 said:
Just was wondering if there are anyways to make it run better and if anyone has made any mods for this filter. Whatever help or advice anyone can give. Mahalo

Aloha :D

Yeah, just keep it nice n' clean like.convict said.

You don't have to use the media (especially the carbon-dont use it) that it comes with. You can use your own media like filter floss or something.

Never change the media like it says on the box. Only when its falling apart

mikan1089 said:

I don't think there are any mods. Just run it with your sponge and bio rings. You can add polishing pads to pick up the fine fine particles and if it warrens it you can run carbon to help clear up the water or remove meds etc... Carbon I believe runs put pretty fast. In my AC110 I run a sponge and poly floss do the fine stuff you'd be amazed at what it picks up! I have to change mine out every couple of days.

Where can I get polishing pads and what level of the filter should I put it on?

What I do is run the pads on top and I have a media bag filled with crushed coral to keep them in place. When they get full they tend to lift. You can get them at any pet store or online. You can use pillow stuffing too! It's way cheaper. I use fluval polishing pads because my LFS gets them for me dirt cheap because I buy them by the case.

lol I have a while closet with fish supplies. It's like walking into a LFS with all the stuff I have on hand.

So I can put it towards the top and set my bio rings on top of the polishing pad?

mikan1089 said:
Why shouldn't I use the carbon

Carbon isn't really needed. Some use it to clear the water I your having an issue or to take out meds if you have treated the tank but it's not really necessary. Keep it though, IMO it's good to have on hand. You'll be better off with the sponge,pads and bio rings.

Also the carbon doesn't last long at all.

Ok I will take your advice and leave it on the side. Thanks

Do you think my aquaclear 50 is enough for my 16 gallon bow with my 4 pea puffers cause I know there messy.

mikan1089 said:
Do you think my aquaclear 50 is enough for my 16 gallon bow with my 4 pea puffers cause I know there messy.

I think that would be plenty just watch your flow and make sure there not thrown around. But you should be just fine. I'd like to see pics when you get a chance. I had a pea puffer but it passed. It was a present for my wife. She loved it. They were pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom