Aquarium Cycling - Too Much Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chibul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

New to this but I've tried to do a bunch of research. Have the liquid testing kit and all that. I'm on Day 3 of a fishless cycle. Water temp is 87°. I added pure ammonia to jumpstart the bio filter (nobody I know has a tank for me to use). My ammonia reading is 8ppm with no nitrites or nitrates - so I'm pretty sure I added too much. Do I need to do a water change, or will the process still kick off even with that high of an ammonia count?

Thanks everyone!

Great! I'll do that. Thanks so much!

De nada. :)

Once ammonia and nitrites reach zero again, add just enough pure ammonia to bring the ppm to between 2 to 4, then wait until both reach zero again to add more. Follow this pattern until both reach zero in 24 hours. Once that happens, check nitrates: it will probably be sky high. At that point, do a massive water change or two to bring nitrates to under 5ppm. At that point, you're ready for fish. (y) :fish2:

So I tested again today. My ammonia was between 4-8, so it's starting to come down. My nitrite however is still 0. Is that cause for concern?

If I remember correctly, the nitrite eating bacteria are slower to develop.

Any plans on what you're going to do with your tank?

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

In terms of fish? We're looking at some zebra dainos, mollies and possibly tetras.

No change in ammonia as of yet. Day 9.

I do have about an inch or so of water evaporation...and the sole live plant that's in there is dead. Water is a little cloudy, but from what I've read that will go away on its own?

Day 14. Still no change in ammonia. Starting to wonder if I've done something wrong.

Great. Thanks! The waiting game is hard. :)

You'll get there. Nitrite phase is the hardest. Once you see nitrites go easy on ammonia otherwise you will have a backlog of nitrites that take forever to fall. You'll be around the 4 week mark at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Got it. I haven't added any ammonia since the first day - have been waiting for it to fall to 1-2 before doing that. Only testing for nitrites every 3-4 days, testing for ammonia daily though

Got it. I haven't added any ammonia since the first day - have been waiting for it to fall to 1-2 before doing that. Only testing for nitrites every 3-4 days, testing for ammonia daily though

I think you've done it the right way to be honest. One dose of 4ppm then wait for nitrites is how I would do it. They are definitely going to show in the next day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds great. I'll start testing for those tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom