Aquarium is too basic!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyv5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank just recently finished cycling (yay!) but I can't seem to lower the pH of my aquarium. Here are the parameters:
pH: 8.2
NH3: 0 ppm
NO2-: 0 ppm
NO3-: 10 ppm

Aquarium/fish specifics:
- 5 gallon tank, filtered and heated to 80 F
- 1 young (and healthy!) male betta fish named Doc
- Decorations: half coconut, moss ball, 2 plastic plants, 2 java ferns, 1 leaf hammock
- 25% water changes about weekly

Any tips are appreciated!

Why do you want to lower the ph? Bettas are hardy and adaptable fish and consistency is usually the most important thing about water parameters.

Agreed, you are gonna cause more problems trying to change the pH than leaving it where it is.

Agree with above, I live in Minnesota and my pH is 8.0-8.2. We have very hard water too off the scale Gh and kH.

I keep three betta, Red cherry shrimp, neon tetra, firemouth cichlids, three BN Pleco and guppies. (Multiple tanks of course) None of them have any problems at all adapting to the pH. The only time I would worry about that is buying wild caught fish that are used to acidic water. Good news is if you buy a bigger tank (55g+) plus you have perfect water for African Cichlids or maybe even a nice salt water tank.

How interesting! I thought that betta liked to live at a lower pH and I was worried. I'll leave the pH as it is; thank you guys!

What fish "like" and what fish can live in are two different things. What fish like are steady water parameters. Almost all captive bred fish will adapt to a wide range of water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom