Aquarium Newbie? Lots of QUESTIONS! :O

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaurahL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

So I have a nano cube 12g, and i got it all set up, filters pumping, bacteria growing, i guess.

My questions....

Cycling:

1.) how does this whole cycling thing work? is it really needed in a tank?
2.) which is better? fish or fishless cycling?
3.) how long does cycling take before i can get my fish?

Fish questions:

I hear guppies are really dirty....true or false?

should i put all the fish in together? Assuming they will get along?

Other:

Which is better, freshwater or salt?
What is all this talk about a testing kit? Do I need to test my water once a month?
What does the carbon do that goes in with the ball things?
:flowers:

Im sure Ill come up with more...haha please any answers would be amazing!
:thanks:

HI and welcome! My replies below in blue...

Hey,

So I have a nano cube 12g, and i got it all set up, filters pumping, bacteria growing, i guess.

My questions....

Cycling:

1.) how does this whole cycling thing work? is it really needed in a tank? Yes, it's needed. It'll happen regardless but you have to decide how you want to cycle it. Basically cycling is growing beneficial bacteria in your filters that will process the ammonia your fish put out through waste so that it isn't toxic to them.

2.) which is better? fish or fishless cycling? I don't know if there's a "better." There are pros and cons to both. If you take a look at this guide it should answer a lot of your questions: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
3.) how long does cycling take before i can get my fish? Whether you cycle with fish or without it can take 4-8 weeks on average.

Fish questions:

I hear guppies are really dirty....true or false? I'm nt sure if "dirty" is the right word. Every fish has a different activity level and adult size; some produce more waste than others. Guppies tend to breed a lot so they can produce a lot of offspring that can overcrowd a tank pretty fast. With a 12 gal cube though, your stocking might be a bit limited. Shapes like cubes, hexes and circular tanks are harder to stock b/c it limits the swimming space for the fish. What are the dimensions of the tank?

should i put all the fish in together? Assuming they will get along? What kind of fish? You just mentioned guppies....

Other:

Which is better, freshwater or salt? One isn't better than the other. They are just totally different.
What is all this talk about a testing kit? Do I need to test my water once a month?
Yes, you need to test water regularly. In new tanks or tanks that are cycling, you'll need to test daily. After the tank is established for a while you can usually test once or twice a month, or if something goes wrong with the fish or tank the first thing to do would be to test the water. Liquid test kit is best; strips are cheaper but they aren't accurate. Get the API Master kit.
What does the carbon do that goes in with the ball things? Carbon generally can help clear the water and remove things like medications. You can use it or not. Most of us don't use it unless we need to remove medications after treatment but if you do use it, it's fine. It's just another form of surface area for the bacteria to grow on.
:flowers:

Im sure Ill come up with more...haha please any answers would be amazing! Try to read that guide I linked above; it should answer most of your questions but post here if you have more.
:thanks:

Reactions: jlk
I think librarygirl pretty much covered it. I'm just getting back into tank ownership after several years out so I can't offer a whole lot of advice. lol.

I believe this is part of what PP mentioned but the Tips and tricks on the fastest cycling really helped me "get" the whole cycle thing. Broke it down to really make sense.

Personally I think fresh water would be your best bet, I don't know anything really about salt water but from what I've heard it sounds a bit more confusing and completely different than fresh water. I woman I know has a salt water tank and it sounds more pricey than what I've encountered with freshwater. It may just be my perception though.

HI and welcome! My replies below in blue...

Yep, I cant add much more than that! Like she said, there isn't really a "better" in terms of freshwater or saltwater, but I usually recommend fresh to new tank owners because they are easier to maintain(no salt to mess with)
Other than that, nothing much else you need to know!

Back
Top Bottom