Aquarium U.V. Sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ultraviolet Sterilizers

A UV sterilizer stops the spread of microorganisms from one fish/coral/invertebrate to another through the water.

The UV sterilizer utilizes a germicidal fluorescent lamp that produces light at a wavelength of approximately 254 nanometers (2537 Angstroms). The water with the bacteria/algae passes over the bulb (or around the bulb if a quartz sleeve is used) and is irradiated with this wavelength. As the light penetrates the bacteria/algae, it mutates the DNA (genetic material), preventing growth/multiplication of the organism.

You can read more at http://www.thepiratesreef.com/forums/t38-aquarium-uv-sterilizers-info.html[/url]

but i think it also kills all the good organisms that pass through it...

Hate to bring this topic back alive but I am reconsidering purchasing one or asking for one for Xmas. Do I need a powerhead to use them or are they self powered as far as water movement goes. If not can they be hooked to a regular HOB (AC 50) filter inlet to move the water?

richiestang_78 said:
If not can they be hooked to a regular HOB (AC 50) filter inlet to move the water?

I have mine hooked up to my return line from my refuge.

Mel, would it be better to hook it to the intake, to keep from killing any pods? I have never had one, so I was just curious, as I think I might put one on my 125.....

Either way pods are usually traveling. I have pods in my refugium that I did not put there. They had to travel from the main to the refuge and I`m sure they travel from the sump to the main.

I'm in the same boat. I've a 9watt Turbo Twist heading my way right now from DrFosters.

Doesn't seem to matter but you have to put it somewhere.

Wouldn't it significantly decrease the GPH on the return from the SUMP to the tank?

I have a couple and like them well enough...just make sure that the one you buy has good duration of water contact with the UV...too little contact and the steriliser is useless.

You want the water to have a decreased flow so it will have more time in the chamber. I worry sometimes that it is going to fast with my return. But no ick in 7 yrs so far so I`ll leave it like it is. I use the turbo twist also.

No one really answered what I need to run one? Do I need a powerhead or can I hook it to the inlet on my AC 50? Or is there one that has a built in pump?

Most of them dont have a built in pump. You have to have a line going in and out with a pump pushing the water. You`ll need to get a pump with it or use a line that already has water pumped into it.

Could you run one in your main tank, without the loss of pods or does it really matter?

Yes you need a pump of some sort. Roughly 400-500 gph rated.

I'm using a MAG 7 in my sump and it returns about 420 gph with the 2 elbow joints on the turbotwist I'm using as well the lift overhead. Joints tend to slow the flow down but so does the twist slightly.

Back
Top Bottom