Aquascaping 55 gallon Mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently cycling a 55 gallon tank which I will use for African Malawi mbunas. I have the rocks in and I like the look of the tank but I am wondering if its practice. Currently I have the rocks piled the length of the tank roughly 2-3" from the back of the tank and it leaves between 2.5" to 8 or 9" at the front of the tank depending on the spot in the tank. Is this enough room for say 5" cichlid species or should I move the rocks all the way back to the back and leave more area out in front?

Here is a pic

Attachments

• image-892602491.jpg
    image-892602491.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1839526238.jpg
    image-1839526238.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 125
Thanks. Anyone else have any opinions or constructive criticism?

brandonv26 said:
Thanks. Anyone else have any opinions or constructive criticism?

If I did anything I'd try and make some bigger caves. If your buying littles ones then what you have will be fine for the time being. I always make my caves bigger as they grow. Otherwise the only thing I think its missing is Cichlids :)

Andrew McFadden said:
If I did anything I'd try and make some bigger caves. If your buying littles ones then what you have will be fine for the time being. I always make my caves bigger as they grow. Otherwise the only thing I think its missing is Cichlids :)

How large do the caves need to be? There are actually more larger ones than there appears to be. You think I'm ok leaving a couple inches space in the back then? Figured I would do that so that I can atleast vac behind them when I do my weekly maintenance.

brandonv26 said:
How large do the caves need to be? There are actually more larger ones than there appears to be. You think I'm ok leaving a couple inches space in the back then? Figured I would do that so that I can atleast vac behind them when I do my weekly maintenance.

You'll be fine as long as they don't fall from them digging around them.

Andrew McFadden said:
You'll be fine as long as they don't fall from them digging around them.

I put them directly in egg crate and then put the sand around them :)

brandonv26 said:

Looks great I wouldn't change a thing.

Back
Top Bottom