AquaSoil VS EcoComplete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I am planning on a 5g planted rimless tank being lit by a Finnex Fugeray R Ultra Slim LED clip on light.
I'm wondering, what's the difference between AquaSoil and something like EcoComplete (it's just crushed lava rock, right?) AquaSoil is so expensive, but if there is a huge difference between that and something else, I may go with it. Right now, I am thinking about using the EcoComplete 'Fine Grain'.

So, I am planning on a 5g planted rimless tank being lit by a Finnex Fugeray R Ultra Slim LED clip on light.
I'm wondering, what's the difference between AquaSoil and something like EcoComplete (it's just crushed lava rock, right?) AquaSoil is so expensive, but if there is a huge difference between that and something else, I may go with it. Right now, I am thinking about using the EcoComplete 'Fine Grain'.

I may be wrong but I believe eco has some things added to it to help plant growth.

The only thing about Eco is that you have to buy it by the 20lb bags.. I won't need that much. While I could save it for future projects, I would like to buy just as much as I need.

Also, what is your opinion on API First Layer Pure Laterite? I could buy that, (aprx. $10) and use some sand that I already have available. That could be an option also.

I don't see why people think aquasoil is so expensive. It really isn't. A 3L bag for your 5 gallon is only $14...

Aqua Soil - Amazonia (3 liters) - Normal [104-031] - $14.00 : Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano

Hmm, must have missed that. I was thinking it was more for some reason.
So I've read that aquasoil breaks down eventually. How long does this take?
And, what about aquasoil makes it better than something like ecocomplete?

Sorry if I sound rude or something... lol. Just trying to learn as much as I can about the 'high tech world' before I jump in :)

ADG shop still has AS and includes free shipping.

http://www.adgshop.com/Aqua_Soil_Amazonia_p/104-031.htm

But , IMO, you can use EC, Floramax, or fluval stratum. For EC, I'd get fine grade. Or if you go fluval, I'd get fluval shrimp stratum... or just go for whatever is cheapest -- they'd all work. :)

Edit: but aqua soil is the best substrate you can buy.

Last edited:
Hmm, must have missed that. I was thinking it was more for some reason.
So I've read that aquasoil breaks down eventually. How long does this take?
And, what about aquasoil makes it better than something like ecocomplete?

Sorry if I sound rude or something... lol. Just trying to learn as much as I can about the 'high tech world' before I jump in :)

I had my aquasoil running for at least 6 months and it didn't break down at all. I think that's just another common misconception. As long as you're not mashing it, it keeps its integrity. Many people even dry it out and re use it for years. Try google and reading others opinions. I think I even tried to crush it with some planting tweezers and couldn't.

I just started using aqua soil for the first time. I like it so far but haven't had it long enough to tell how well plants grow yet. ADG shop has a good price on it because they're going to stop carrying ADA stuff, so they're trying to clear it out. From what I've read, it's the best. It's especially good for its ph buffering capability. This would be advantageous to keeping shrimp.

I have used floramax and fluval stratum too. They all grow plants with good column dosing and occasional root tabs because they aren't as nutrition packed as AS :)

My vote would be Aqua Soil. Actually, get the 9 liter for 35$ (free ship), it's a better value, you'll have extra for future projects. 3 liter is good, but it's 17$. Getting the 9 liter is like getting an extra 3 liters for free.

http://www.adgshop.com/Aqua_Soil_Amazonia_p/104-021.htm

Thanks Bill and Brian for all the advice. I really appreciate it. Sounds like AquaSoil is the way to go then. If I get the 9L bag, would I have enough for another 15g rimless in the future?

So with AS I will still need to dose ferts into the water column, correct?

It's hard to tell without the dimensions... You may be cutting it close...

Warning: Once you go rimless... You'll hate all your other tanks... :lol:

I know... I'm already looking at them thinking "Ug so ugly" :lol:

The dimensions of the 15g are 20"(L) x 13"(W) x 13.5"(H)

I could always get another 3L bag since I will set this one up a few months after this 5g.

Haha... well said, Bill! It's so true... that's why the 12g Nano Cube is being garaged soon.

@Scotty -- yes, you still fertilize.

No! Not the nano cube! That's what started it all.... :( JK. Lol.

Okay that's what I figured. Thinking just using liquid ferts to make it easier on me the first go around. Like the SeaChem liquid ferts.. AKA this stuff from Dr. Foster & Smith.
Nutrients for Live Plant Freshwater Aquariums: Seachem Flourish Plant Kit

I actually do have dry ferts, but I am going to use liquid ferts till I get the hang of things.

Aquasoil is good for a lot of South American Red plants if I'm not mistaken. They thrive in acidic soil which I believe AS is on the acidic side which is perfect for those plants and should help keep them red

Aquasoil is good for a lot of South American Red plants if I'm not mistaken. They thrive in acidic soil which I believe AS is on the acidic side which is perfect for those plants and should help keep them red

Thanks. So far, I am planning on all green, but if I see a nice red plant that catches my eye, I might stick a couple in :)

1 9 liter bag might work for two tanks (5g + 15g) depending on how your hardscape is. For example, you can stretch that bag out by doing an island type scape where the banked up substrate is concentrated in one area of the tank in which the surrounding area is filled in with less expensive sand. Also, you can be more conservative with how how you create the slopes and by using less toward the front glass.

Thanks guys! I should be able to start this build pretty soon now.

Brian, I got a 'job' ;) Hehe.
Baby sitting 3 kids. Not super excited about it, but hey, I can start my rimless tank :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom