Aqueon water Changer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyhp91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm about to by an Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer. But the water from the tap is too unpredictable to put directly into my tank. So I am trying to think of a way to prepare the water ahead of time and find a way to create suction from the water can (20 gallon trash can) to the tank... Any ideas? or any better plans?

As in quality and temperature. It makes me nervous exposing my fish to that much chlorine. So I prefer to does the water ahead of time.

Well, before putting the water in, dose the aquarium with prime and you'll be fine, lol. Also, depending on what temp you need it, just monitor it closely. It's not that hard.

As in quality and temperature. It makes me nervous exposing my fish to that much chlorine. So I prefer to does the water ahead of time.

What you do is get your temp matched first before running water down the line to the tank after that dose to the full tank volume with your conditioner and you should be good to go

It made me nervous at first too. I put a little prime in when I start the water, then add as I go to match correct dosage for water I removed..

It made me nervous at first too. I put a little prime in when I start the water, then add as I go to match correct dosage for water I removed..

You should always dose to full tank volume of water when adding water directly to the tank not just how much was taken out

until recently, I'd been doing large daily wcs, I suppose in some cases you don't want to dose for full tank volume, right? (I was keeping ammonia and nitrite down) I want to do it right, though, of coarse would like to get a discussion going..

until recently, I'd been doing large daily wcs, I suppose in some cases you don't want to dose for full tank volume, right? (I was keeping ammonia and nitrite down) I want to do it right, though, of coarse would like to get a discussion going..

Nope every single time dose to full volume otherwise it would be ineffective against the chlorine I do 50% water changes every week and I dose the full volume of the tank each time, now if your using buckets you dose the amount thats in the bucket

I have a bottle of jungle dechlor too (remove chlorine and chloramine) I only used this when inbetween buying bottles of prime.. what about this stuff?

man, oh man... said it before, will say it again fish keeping isn't easy.. good question, OP, thanks to all

What you do is get your temp matched first before running water down the line to the tank after that dose to the full tank volume with your conditioner and you should be good to go

Agreed, dose the whole volume of the tank with Prime then match the temp before flipping the switch to fill the tank. It's not hard I promise, I've done it for years with out incident.

I would call your local water provider and ask how much chlorine they even add. I know where I live in Washington state they add such a small amount I could change water with out even treating it. I use to do it in my Koi pond all the time.

Agreed, dose the whole volume of the tank with Prime then match the temp before flipping the switch to fill the tank. It's not hard I promise, I've done it for years with out incident.

I do the same thing twice a week 3 tanks 50%
For temp I use a digital instant food thermomiter and match with in 0.5 deg
very simple. If i had to do buckets id only have 1 tank.:)

what effect could this have had on my fish the last 3 or 4 wks?? I feel bad.. again

How much of a temp swing do you think is safe? I have never worried about that unless it was winter and the water came out way too cold. My tanks stay around 80-82 without the heaters running during most of the year and when I do my 50% weekly change, the temp drops to 76-78. Never seen any adverse affects. Winter is different since my tanks stay around 76-78 and the water comes out in the 60's. I hook up to the hot water line for my washing machine and run the hose in from outside to mix and match temp.

How much of a temp swing do you think is safe? I have never worried about that unless it was winter and the water came out way too cold. My tanks stay around 80-82 without the heaters running during most of the year and when I do my 50% weekly change, the temp drops to 76-78. Never seen any adverse affects. Winter is different since my tanks stay around 76-78 and the water comes out in the 60's. I hook up to the hot water line for my washing machine and run the hose in from outside to mix and match temp.

I normally do cold water changes during the summer and only see a 3-5 deg swing which doesn't seem to bother the fish at all. During the winter though I match a little more closely and don't experience more than +/- 1 deg.

Hello all my name is john the newbie! lol. I was terrified imagine a grown man doin his first water change thinkin he is gonna kill all his fish here in new york you can smell the chlorine sometimes when you cut the water on in the morning. . Mostly summer months. i did my water change and added the correct dosage of easy life fluid filter medium while the tank was filling (Yes it turns your water cloudy for a few hrs and then it looks like you can drink it) it was a beautiful thing everybody survived and are doin great. On my fifth water change am a pro at this part. Lmbo

Back
Top Bottom