Arc Eye Hawk on a killing spree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I added a 2 1/2" arc eye to my 70 that has 4 yellowtail damsels, an engineer goby, 100lbs lr and a dsb.

The first thing the stupid damsels did to the arc eye was to rub their tail in his face and make unpleasant gestures to let him know he was unwelcome. (bad move).

A few days later, the goby is gone.

Then yesterday, one of my perfectly healthy, bulletproof bright blue damsels is DEAD and stuck on the intake of a PH.

I didn't see any huge bites out of it (I threw it out the window of the house pretty quick because it was stinky) , but I am wondering if the death toll will continue to mount with the big Arc Eye in there. :vader:

I cant say that Arc-Eyes are all the same, but mine killed one firefish, made another jump out and ran a damsel into the overflow before he was banished to life in the qt tank with only big crabs as his friends.

From what I have read and what I know Hawks are predators and the arc eyes are the most notorious. They are mean and will not only go after smaller fish but fish three times their size.

I had a speckled hawk that soon out grew my tank and started chasing my huma and tomato clown. I had to take him back to the LFS for trade in value. The guy at the LFS~ wanted the hawk for his own tank cause it was a nice big beautiful specimen.

Awesome fish but I will never get another one.

The governor just called with a pardon... the goby had made a secret cave and was hiding! He's not dead after all! I fed the tank and it peeked out. The death count is only at 1.

Perhaps the 1 damsel that was dead, was the one that flipped it's tail in the face of the hawk and thusly was attacked by the hawk.

Well I guess I will just keep an eye on everyone and see what happens from here.

The drama continues... thank you for your exciting yet grisly contributions dottyback and alarm... I supose as my hawk gets bigger it will just get more hungrier for fellow tankmates. :|

Good luck.....no matter the cost of a fish a loss is a loss.....amazing how the well being of a 3.99 damsel is as important to us, me included as anyother fish . It does suck though when a damsel picks on a new angel or wrasse that cost 27.00 or more. lol :roll:

Back
Top Bottom