Are Pico's REALLY that hard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nano and pico are part of the metric system. Increments of size. For instance: meter, decimeter, centimeter... Millimeter.... Nanometer... Picometer. In tank terms a nano tank is ~30 gallons or less. A pico tank is even smaller. Most would consider 10 or less a pico.

What kind of corals? If you search melev's reef, he has a 2 gallon pico with a seahorse and a clown goby with tons of corals. That's where I got my idea from.

Yes , but Mel ended up taking the tank down as the seahorse died and the tank also became a hassle (I've actually emailed him and talked to him about it). Not to mention he seeded the pico using bacteria from his display tank. And used water from his display tank to upkeep the pico, plus Mel is not only experienced, but the pico was also almost an extension of his main tanks. Not trying to get your hopes down, but it's a different situation. I think the main thing is you need to choose corals that don't sting, and either do a small sort of goby or seahorses. Either or.

Well, I would reeeeally like to get a group of seahorses. Maybe I will go with a 5.5 gal instead. That would give me a bit more space anyways.
I will need to look into growing brine shrimp, and maybe also cultivating some pods for them to graze on.
Do you honestly think dwarf seahorses would be too much of a hassle? I think after I get the brine shrimp thing down it wouldn't be too bad...

Well, I would reeeeally like to get a group of seahorses. Maybe I will go with a 5.5 gal instead. That would give me a bit more space anyways.
I will need to look into growing brine shrimp, and maybe also cultivating some pods for them to graze on.
Do you honestly think dwarf seahorses would be too much of a hassle? I think after I get the brine shrimp thing down it wouldn't be too bad...

No they aren't too bad, if you do species only.

So, if I do a species only with dwarf seahorses, what would be the best reef type set up for them?

So, if I do a species only with dwarf seahorses, what would be the best reef type set up for them?

Low flow filter (block the outflow with something), DRY rock, DRY sand, hitchingposts (tall plants or anything tall and skinny they can wrap around), and that's about it.

What's bad with live sand and rock?
So I would be able to keep corals with them as long as the don't sting, correct?
How many would I be able to keep in a 5.5 gallon?
Thanks for all the help :)

Well, corals do grow, some faster than others. So it depends on the kind of coral, and what size you originally purchase it in.

What's bad with live sand and rock?
So I would be able to keep corals with them as long as the don't sting, correct?
How many would I be able to keep in a 5.5 gallon?
Thanks for all the help :)

Hydroids. Aha and seahorses are picky.

And yes. It'd look up what corals are safe.

You could keep probably 4-6

Cool, thanks for all the help guys. I need to get some sleep, but tomorrow I will look around on the internet, and come back with some more questions :lol:

So... What kind of lighting for corals should I get for a tank that is 18" x 10.75" x 10.75"?

I dont like internal filters, and the tank is a pico?

Thats gonna take up alot of tank space.

I didnt read the whole thread word for word, are you wanting to do seahorses?

And for corals, a par38 bulb would keep anything.

I dont like internal filters, and the tank is a pico?

Thats gonna take up alot of tank space.

I didnt read the whole thread word for word, are you wanting to do seahorses?

And for corals, a par38 bulb would keep anything.

Yes, I am planning on doing a 5.5 gallon pico.
Maybe I will go with an AC 20.
Yes, I am thinking of doing 2 male and three female seahorses.
I'll look around for a par38 bulb then.

An ac 20 would be better, adds more volume to the tank and you can turn the flow down if you want too.

Have you looked into what kind yet?

Back
Top Bottom