Are there and puffer fish suitable for a freshwater community 240L?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

har-2109

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have been researching puffer fish, as I think they are very interesting animals. Are any o them suitable for a community tank?

Cheers

Here some names I found on Fresh water Puffer fish.
Auriglobus modestus
Carinotetraodon immitator
Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Carinotetraodon lorteti
Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Hi there. I had puffers about 10 years ago and they ate everything in the tank they could. They were also very messy about it. Not sure which puffers I had, but they were FW and yellow with little stripes.

Sorry if i cant be of more help. Someone will come along who's an expert. Promise.

if you dont have too many small fish like neon tetras and a little bit harder water green spotted puffers are ok... red eye puffers are a better choice because they can stand 100% fresh water in a wide range of ph.. not great but but better sudgestion.. most stores sell them as brackish but they can be aclimatized to fresh the red eyes do much better in fresh water any way and stay relatively small max 3" but green spotted do good in fresh when small but can get to 6.5" max and live along time and need brackish or marine conditions when they get larger. hope this helps

if you dont have too many small fish like neon tetras and a little bit harder water green spotted puffers are ok... red eye puffers are a better choice because they can stand 100% fresh water in a wide range of ph.. not great but but better sudgestion.. most stores sell them as brackish but they can be aclimatized to fresh the red eyes do much better in fresh water any way and stay relatively small max 3" but green spotted do good in fresh when small but can get to 6.5" max and live along time and need brackish or marine conditions when they get larger. hope this helps

Not saying you're wrong, of course, you have your opinion. But, I could not disagree more on a Green Spotted Puffer. GSP and "community" don't go together, ever, in my opinion and experience. Additionally, Brackish (not fresh) when young for the best health of the fish, Marine (not brackish) when adult. Also require at least 30 gallons per GSP, and this is a 60 gallon tank I think.

Again, you have your opinion, but I have to counter it with mine. :)

So would a red eye puffer be a better bet then? I plan on having the tank quite full (planted with plenty of hiding spots) rather than bare.

How easy are they to get hold of in shops (I'm from the UK)

Cheers

they arent the easyest fish to get a hold of but if you go to a few LFS and ask around some of them may be able to order them in other then that try aquabid im from canada so i dont know what the variety is like in UK

Back
Top Bottom