Are these pipe dreams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most colorful freshwater fish I've seen are the standard dwarf gourami. Brilliant orange and blue stripes. I've also seen crazy looking guppies that I thought only existed on the covers of aquarium products. As far as cichlids, well, yes and no. Temperament, sex, mood, can all change how they look. Finding good looking stock at a lfs is a bit of a challenge. Unfortunately, I've yet to see any in my local stores I'd want to reserve or pick up. Though I'm just now becoming familiar again with all of their delivery and restocking periods. I may have better luck in the future.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is my jewel!

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399340126714.jpg
    1399340126714.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 81
Yes, Apisto's especially really nice ones can be hard to come by at fish stores and the ones that are there aren't really cheap. Gourami's are very colorful fish, that was what I first started with years ago. The dwarfs that are both a powder metallic blue with orange and then they also have them with the colors reversed. Also the flame dwarf gourami, the sunset honey gourami can be nice if you find one with good color. I like the pearl gourami and my personal favorite, the Vallanti Chocolate Gourami. Not much in pictures but amazing to see in person.

Parrot fish were created in labs in Malaysia.

But also some pet stores stock fish with injected dyes or hormones. Neither produce healthy fish.
As a general rule no juvenile should look like it has on full breeding colours. Exceptions may exist.

Yes, Apisto's especially really nice ones can be hard to come by at fish stores and the ones that are there aren't really cheap. Gourami's are very colorful fish, that was what I first started with years ago. The dwarfs that are both a powder metallic blue with orange and then they also have them with the colors reversed. Also the flame dwarf gourami, the sunset honey gourami can be nice if you find one with good color. I like the pearl gourami and my personal favorite, the Vallanti Chocolate Gourami. Not much in pictures but amazing to see in person.

On the larger side electric blue jack dempseys are gorgeous. These are colour morphs selectively bred for their colour.

I believe the Apistos will be too small and will get mauled. Gourami's won't survive my tank, every fish I've chosen is 3" - 6" and aggressive. That said, like many of you I started decades ago with colorful, mollies, swords and slightly aggressive Gourami's and moved depper into cichlids via Firemouths and Dempseys. Long story short, the Gourami's never survived the transition and the rest became bait.

I did look hard at the Blue Dempsey but the Jack Dempsey has always been my favorite and it seems sacrilege to use his colorful cousin. I have also read that the blues are less aggressive and this just wouldn't work since I want my Jack to reign supreme and claim the best territory.

PS: As I get closer I will post my fish list, I don't do it know because I hate the debates that follow. Some people just refuse to accept that we all have different philosophies and visions for our tanks.

I have some really cool Geophagus Tapajos II. Get about 5". The Geo Steindachneri as well. colors aren't as bright but really cool fish.

The Honduran Red Point is a feisty little guy. A more peaceful variant of the convict. It is a gorgeous baby powder blue with the black stripes. Not the biggest but will hold its own.

Jumping right to the bottom., so sorry if I am off topic or this is a tangent.

I was looking long and hard for those colors of fish. I have a thread: I just want a RED African. I went through many many fish trying to find those good colors.

I had ruby reds, eureka reds, Ottor points, pundamilia Nyererie. And none if them grew to be what I wanted.

Finally I found a Makobe island super red, and some red peacocks that look amazing! What I found is a fish that is going to look that well you can tell very early on. Looking at pictures of these fry, vs the others that were "supposed" to turn out like that is like night and day.

Breeding, dominance, water quality play a big role in their colors, as well as food. The best food I have found for bringing out reds is NLS, and Plankton gold flakes from livefishdirect.com

That is also where I found these fish.
They exist, but are hard to find. When you have a good one, you will know it.
Be patient, shop and shop around. Or you can try breeding your own too.
I finally found a red top lwanda after years (that I could actually afford) it hadn't turned our as good as I would like, so my plan is too breed it until I get one that I do. Pick the best of the litter so to speak, because that's what these super colorful fish are. The most healthy best strains.

Back
Top Bottom