Arowana section

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycyoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there anyone out there with arowanas :) proud arowana owner here :)

Is there anyone out there with arowanas :) proud arowana owner here :)

Just have one silver arowana for now. Sadly in Florida it's the only one legal to purchase. We have him in a 45 gallon with a tigerstripe shovel nose catfish, 3 cichlids and a chaka chaka catfish. Holding them there until we get our 250 gallon.

:fish1:Jesus and Nicole:fish1:

Woah 250 :O how much u getting for. Tiger nose cat fish has black / white strips ? It's like 150 for a 2 inch one right

Woah 250 :O how much u getting for. Tiger nose cat fish has black / white strips ? It's like 150 for a 2 inch one right

Still browsing around for the 250 but from what I have seen its going to set me back about a grand plus filters, heaters, lights etc. And I actually made a pretty decent connection with the LFS owner here by my house and my girlfriend was able to get me the cat at around 2 inches for $12. He started off with no stripes but now a month later he is pushing between 6 and 7 inches and has his bright white stripes starting to run vertically. The guy is a beast and eats 4 to 5 goldies in one sitting. The arowana is pushing 8-9 inches and eats anything we put in the tank.

:fish1:Jesus and Nicole:fish1:

Not mine and ill probably never own one but here's a full grown silver I took a pic of at the national aquarium in Baltimore today. Beautiful fishImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391317800.137465.jpg

Blimming heck, looks like he (or she) eats used cars for breakfast and spits out the tyres!

Good looking fish though.

This is my all time favorite freshwater fish. Had many of them and obviously they over grew any tank I was able to give them or found the slightest hole in the cover they could sneak through and jumped to their death, they are jumpers by nature. I would buy them about two inches long and grow them to around 8 inches or so then sell them and start all over.

Not trying to be a downer, but arowana and shovel nose are two fish that need HUGE tanks. Like 500+ gallons. They both get over 3 feet long. They are both AWESOME looking fish, but I would never even think about getting them. The arowana in nature jump out of the water over 2 feet to feed on bugs, and even small birds.

To tell the truth I can't stand silver aros

You have a 99.9% chance that it will get drop eye a condition when one eye starts to hang down

If you live in the US you have 5 options for Arowana

Silver
Black
African Arowana
Jardini
Leicheti (spelt wrong)

The black aro is the best option as they look like silver but stay smaller and don't get drop eye

Lei are rare and expensive

Jardini are super aggressive and you won't be able to keep other fish with it once it gets past 12" the good thing is they stay smaller at 24" and can live in a 6x2

African aro don't look like an aro

If you live anywhere else apart from the US then get a Asian aro yes they are expensive for the better colour ones but you can get a green for about £150

Asian aro are the top of the high end fish market I paid close to $2,000 for my chilli red

To tell the truth I can't stand silver aros

You have a 99.9% chance that it will get drop eye a condition when one eye starts to hang down

If you live in the US you have 5 options for Arowana

Silver
Black
African Arowana
Jardini
Leicheti (spelt wrong)

The black aro is the best option as they look like silver but stay smaller and don't get drop eye

Lei are rare and expensive

Jardini are super aggressive and you won't be able to keep other fish with it once it gets past 12" the good thing is they stay smaller at 24" and can live in a 6x2

African aro don't look like an aro

If you live anywhere else apart from the US then get a Asian aro yes they are expensive for the better colour ones but you can get a green for about £150

Asian aro are the top of the high end fish market I paid close to $2,000 for my chilli red

Do they need to be kept in schools?

T1 you use in the USA :O ?

No I live in the UK

As for keeping more than one it can work but chances are slim

You need to buy min 6 and let them grow together then pair off around 14"
This will only work with silver or asain aros

Jardini will kill each other fast even if you had 20 they wod kill each other fast

Asan aros are very expensive I had a tank full of about 12 Asian aros worth about $1800-2000
I had them in a 350g hoping to get a pair
The only way to get a pair is to pack loads into a small space if you give then to much room they will rip each other to bits

This is a video of my group
http://youtu.be/ZzAhCqHJbzk

No I live in the UK

As for keeping more than one it can work but chances are slim

You need to buy min 6 and let them grow together then pair off around 14"
This will only work with silver or asain aros

Jardini will kill each other fast even if you had 20 they wod kill each other fast

Asan aros are very expensive I had a tank full of about 12 Asian aros worth about $1800-2000
I had them in a 350g hoping to get a pair
The only way to get a pair is to pack loads into a small space if you give then to much room they will rip each other to bits

This is a video of my group
http://youtu.be/ZzAhCqHJbzk

Gorgeous tank! Man that flagtail prochilodus is a monster! Some people don't know how massive those guys can get!

Back
Top Bottom